Off to the shop.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
The Roadstar is on its way to get the 5th gear problem repaired.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 106
It's weird to see a rice burner atop a truck like that!

Hey man, I hope they get it done correctly and quickly for you, wont be long now before all the good parts of the USA start thawing out:clapping:

Motor had to come out. The problem may not be too parts intensive, but labor is gonna be up there. They're gonna split the cases tomorrow and have a look inside. Crap.

Dogs broke off the 4th gear. There is a chip out of one of the other gears, and some of the gears are galled. Tim is gonna get a good used gear set with forks, and replace everything. Available on EBay for less than $200.

He's figuring the job will be a bit less than $1500 parts and labor. Cheaper than a used engine, or another bike. I've given up on the Royal Star.

Tim's the kind of guy who cuts no corners - it will be repaired properly. His time estimate is about 2 weeks..

You could get your used gear set and/or I can get a set undercut for you. I've probably got a $200 core plus the $550 undercut would would still be half of the new parts but you'd still have gaskets and labor (not sure how much they are charging you). It would also be far better then new and you would not have to worry about the condition of a good used trans set. I rarely get any sets that I feel are good to reuse without doing the work (though I don't want to have to do it twice).

Tim got me a very low mileage gearbox for the Roadstar for less than the price of one of the bad gears. I stopped by today, the heads are on, and the rear cylinder valve train is being assembled. A few more hours, and the motor is going back in.

He replaced everything. Gears, shafts, bearings, shift forks and drum, and all linkages. Valves were in excellent shape, and the cross hatch was visible in the cylinder bores. Ring end gap was perfectly in tolerance.

It sure looks like those dogs were ripped right out of the gears. Only got 2 of them - the 3rd one got swept up off the floor. The chip in the other gear was located, too.

The replacement gears were in his opinion, in perfect condition.

He didn't have to spend a lot for parts, so it's looking like about a $1200 repair. Honestly, what could I buy for $1200? A beat up VStar 650??

Attachments

• 100_1452.jpg
    100_1452.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_1453.jpg
    100_1453.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_1454.jpg
    100_1454.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_1455.jpg
    100_1455.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 25
That's a really good question. Looks like the shift dogs fractured on the 5th gear. No idea at all why..

I've only seen that once before (Rick Rash's bike if I recall) and it was one of the overdrive transmissions that was done prior to our undercut work if I remember right. Pretty rare occurrence.

Just got a call from Tim. Bike is done, and runs great. He also replaced a badly cracked intake manifold and the total came out to a bit under $1400. I am not complaining. That was a big job. Gonna pick it up the next rideable day.

Latest posts

Back