Brisk plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More power over a fouled plug.
If it's not a cd ignition, how will it give multiple sparks?

Plugs are very easy to argue over. I used to do a lot of serious autocrossing about 15 years ago and guys running in stock class spent a fortune doing everything they could to "improve" their stock cars. One guy did several days of dyna testing with his stock miata and Just about every plug known to man. The results. Indexing plugs so that the spark was aiming at the intake valve was the best bang for the buck with no appreciable difference between plugs. A whopping 1-2 hp change!

I read an article awhile back on plugs in sportbikes when I was making an attempt to become the next Rossi and after several syno runs with different plugs the only ones that consistently gave an extra 1-2hp over stock were larger dual prong plugs. The tuner was convinced this was achieved only by the slightly higher compression it created due to the larger size and protrusion.

Last time I bought plugs for the Max I picked up a dozen of thesehttps://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9860 They have been working great. I indexed them as I do all of my plugs and noticed no difference in performance from a good condition non-fouled plug as is
usually the result.

Remember "Splitfire" spark plugs? A bunch of hooey to me. Run a clean plug, properly gapped and the right heat range, and you'll be fine.

The only spark plug I WILL NOT USE is a Champion. Back in the day when I worked as a VW mechanic (before water cooled Volkswagens), we had literally dozens of seized plugs in the engines we were tuning. With the few exceptions of some hamfisted mechanic cross threading them, every stuck plug was a Champion. We put a lot of Heli-Coils in those motors. The aluminum heads seized so bad to the plugs, the threads would come out with the plugs. We had to run a reamer and tap the head to accept the Heli-Coil. One sad day, one of the mechanics on the line forgot to run the piston down to BDC, and drilled a neat hole through it. Which caused the poor guy (who shall go nameless) to spend the rest of the day tearing the motor down to install a new piston.... Which is why I wont put Champion plugs in anything..

More power over a fouled plug.
If it's not a cd ignition, how will it give multiple sparks?

I was wondering the same thing too. I read up on their web page and it says if you have an MSD ignition that puts out 3 ignition impulses to one under 3000 RPM you get 9 with these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plugs are very easy to argue over. I used to do a lot of serious autocrossing about 15 years ago and guys running in stock class spent a fortune doing everything they could to "improve" their stock cars. One guy did several days of dyna testing with his stock miata and Just about every plug known to man. The results. Indexing plugs so that the spark was aiming at the intake valve was the best bang for the buck with no appreciable difference between plugs. A whopping 1-2 hp change!

I read an article awhile back on plugs in sportbikes when I was making an attempt to become the next Rossi and after several syno runs with different plugs the only ones that consistently gave an extra 1-2hp over stock were larger dual prong plugs. The tuner was convinced this was achieved only by the slightly higher compression it created due to the larger size and protrusion.

Last time I bought plugs for the Max I picked up a dozen of thesehttps://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9860 They have been working great. I indexed them as I do all of my plugs and noticed no difference in performance from a good condition non-fouled plug as is
usually the result.

With these there is no indexing because there's no gap. It seems to be there's 360 degrees of spark as well. I'm just curious if anyone's come across them and if it would be worth the investment of damn near $20 a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's 'new' is old-again. Just another surface-gap plug. Used to be used on the CDI-equipped Kawasaki 500's, the 2 stroke triples of yore, to combat the notorious 2-stroke fouling.

Back