Stage 7 with Velocity Stacks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking either in between the v-boost or rid the v-boost and go hi rise.
like I had stated, i`m not that experienced at all with the v-max v-4 engine so, im just thinking "What if" I have mechanical ability and I have always been a tinkerer but You guys know way more than me about this bike so I openly accept and respect all of your advice, ideas and criticism :worthy:.
<<Dave>>

First off the V-Boost was one of the first things to come off my VMAX along with the Cobra Exhaust pipes..
I am really confused with your idea of mounting a high rise below the carbs:confused2:
High Rise.. The VMAX engine isnt a 327 Vette Motor with some double hump 202 fuely heads Looking for a Holley Strip Dominator Open Plain High Rise Intake Manifold with a 4IN Moroso Air Cleaner. The intakes and head design is wrong. Many have tried a ram air with airboxes etc. It doesnt work due to intake and head design.
Hope that helped you understand the Hi Rise Therory on a VMAX engine with stock carbs.

What is the significance of the breather hose in the front two K&N filters when installing a stage 7 Kit? It appears they combine in some type of valve or small canister then a larger hose to the crankcase. Is this the case? Wy only the front two and not all four? Is there a white paper or procedure to make this with parts instead of trying to purchase one pre-made. Appreciate ay input. I have the stage 7 kit and want to get my VMAX dyno'd but I understand that I must have this piece prior to dyno.
Thanks

So I installed some of these and let me tell you that I absolutely love them. Still have to dyno the setup, but by the seat of the pants, compared to just running pods, the bike idles beautifully steadier, 4K cruising is sooooo Lazy-Boy plush, and acceleration through all gears and rpms is butter sweet with a more peppier giddy-up. Haven't tried WOT, but 3/4 throttle, me likey.

Over the weekend I did have issues bogging down coming off a dead stop, but this morning no such problems. An unusual cold front IS pushing through, so I'm thinking that because air density increases as the air temperature decreases, the engine ran leaner this morning; and this past weekend under "normal" temperatures, the engine was running a bit rich in the idle circuit. I suspected that I was a little rich going into the mod as a residual of my on-going effort of dialing in the tune, but never experienced bogging down coming off of a dead stop prior to the mod. Strange, if I were rich going in and stacks improve the quality of the air coming in, I would have thought that the richness would have cancelled out. Hmmm. Prolly just have to tweak the AFR screws.

I currently have them affixed to the carb mouths with some of the 2" x 1-1/2" neoprene sleeves that come with these couplers.
611918021126xl.jpg
The sleeves have a pipe "seat" that I trimmed out so that they didn't cover up the air jets. But I will be replacing the neoprene coupling with some silicone ones that are due to arrive midweek. With a set of the Emgo cone pods perched atop the stacks, I undoubtedly, LOVE LOVE LOVE MY SETUP. :eusa_dance:

:worthy: Kudos to maleko for the initial R&D.

Here is a pic of a "raw" one next to its brother that I polished up.
uploadfromtaptalk1335186773444.jpg
I wanted to do aluminum, but couldn't find any on eBay. I did later find some aluminum pipe on the Net, but shipping doubled the price, so I'm happy with these copper ones.

20120420_214109.jpguploadfromtaptalk1335186954660.jpg

{EDIT}
Here's a shot of the stacks after replacing the neoprene sleeves with 1.5-inch silicone ones
picture.php

{/EDIT}

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Last edited:
Can I pester any of you guys who did this to let me know the OD of the pipe you used? I guess I could just take off one of my pods and take it to HW Store with me... just checking! Sounds like you pioneered a great mod Mark, I have been missing that little extra low down grunt...

Used this as inspiration to modify my stock airbox (again)
Used a few lengths of 52mm cylinders which slid perfectly onto the carbs to replace my dried out rubber trumpets

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Used this as inspiration to modify my stock airbox (again)
Used a few lengths of 52mm cylinders which slid perfectly onto the carbs to replace my dried out rubber trumpets

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Excellent ingenuity johnpclynch! Those rubber velocity stacks are kinda expensive.

thanks for the tip, if you want a little more power, add an X inside the pipe, it will stabilize the air and get 5 hp more, i used 2 inch copper pipe, with 2 inch copper flat bar by 1/8 to make an x shape welded to the inside of pipe, made 2.5 velocity stacks, so made 2.5 inch for the X you get a little more power feels like a different bike

I have since upgraded from cheap pipe to proper stacks, they perform, look and sound much better
attachment.php

Been lurking a while so I figured I'd chip in . The uni pk-82 filter fits perfectly on top and clears the faux tank cover. I figure it'll flows about the same as the k&n with the pipe shoved in it and I haven't noticed any changes in acceleration going from k&n to a smaller uni. I did notice however that the carbs were much easier to sync similar to most of the stock machines I've worked on.

Bike came with a python pcv breather. I plan on adding some barbed vaccum fittings to the two front tubes and attaching a the stage 7 vent setup with my newfound clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_96261.jpg
    IMG_96261.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back