Gas Cap Manual / Tutorial for Dry Rotted or Cracked Gas Cap Seals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper Predator

Reaction score
Want to replace your gas cap seal and not loose having one key for all locks? Well, now you can with this tutorial.

My gas caps seal was cracked, so I originally started to see if I can just replace the gas cap seal, one thing led to another....

I figured out how to replace every piece down to the springs and dust cover for your old gas cap. The only old part you will have are the actual tumblers and main springs, which allows the lock to function in the gas cap. Everything else will be brand new to include the dust cover which usually takes a beating over the years.

If you have any questions I'll help you out.

Album Archive

Update: August 3, 2021

Several years ago the picasaweb link dropped out above but I do have the entire write up or instructions and photos from the original tutorial. Problem is there are 72 photos (27.4 MB worth) and I can only download 10 on this website. Not sure how to do it at this point, but I will look into a work-around somehow.

Until then I will post the main ones that will show the before and after, so you can see a little until I figure out how to post all the pictures with the instructions. The instructions I kept in a separate Word Document, so I do have the instructions for all 72 photos.

Attachments

• Gas Cap Swap 11.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 11.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Gas Cap Swap 16.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 16.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 20
  • Gas Cap Swap 18.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 18.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Gas Cap Swap 21.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 21.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Gas Cap Swap 27.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 27.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Gas Cap Swap 29.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 29.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Gas Cap Swap 33.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 33.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Gas Cap Swap 43.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 43.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Gas Cap Swap 72.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 72.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Gas Cap Swap 73.JPG
    Gas Cap Swap 73.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Thanks much for the contribution. I'm sure it'll be needed here sooner or later. Sometimes I like to squeeze every drop in that tank I can, right to the neck. Be good to know it's staying in the tank. The sum of it's members make this site great.
Steve

Definitely a "Sticky" Buster! Professionally written article of a subject yet to be addressed. Please keep them articles coming! You guys should see his bike. WOW !!!
PATMAX

6a01156f56a197970b014e87636de0970d-800wi

This has to be the best How-To to date in terms of content presentation. Amazing!!! :punk::clapping::eusa_dance::worthy::banana::thumbs up::band::ten_out_of_ten::eclipsee_gold_cup: This is a very beneficial contribution to the knowledge base.

Will the picassa server always be able to serve the pics/album?

Thanks again everyone,

That was hilarious Ninjaneer, really funny stuff.http://www.vmaxforum.net/member.php?u=5722

As far as I know yes it should be there for a long time, I had it posted on the Norway VMOA because a real good friend of mine thought I should share it and everyone would like it so I did it.

I don't think it will change for a long, long time because everyone in Norway use it now.

I do have all the pictures still, and a Word Document with all the tutorial information typed out. If I had to I could do the text boxes if the link fails for whatever reason.

-Gary

Hi everyone .... I am interested in seeing this write-up, but the link seems to be no longer available (404 error).
Does anyone have it or know where it can be downloaded?
Thanks, John

There are other threads on here about the gas cap, do a search. You may find what you need covered in them.

Want to replace your gas cap seal and not loose having one key for all locks? Well, now you can with this tutorial.

My gas caps seal was cracked, so I originally started to see if I can just replace the gas cap seal, one thing led to another....

I figured out how to replace every piece down to the springs and dust cover for your old gas cap. The only old part you will have are the actual tumblers and main springs, which allows the lock to function in the gas cap. Everything else will be brand new to include the dust cover which usually takes a beating over the years.

If you have any questions I'll help you out.

Album Archive

Update: August 3, 2021

Several years ago the picasaweb link dropped out above but I do have the entire write up or instructions and photos from the original tutorial. Problem is there are 72 photos (27.4 MB worth) and I can only download 10 on this website. Not sure how to do it at this point, but I will look into a work-around somehow.

Until then I will post the main ones that will show the before and after, so you can see a little until I figure out how to post all the pictures with the instructions. The instructions I kept in a separate Word Document, so I do have the instructions for all 72 photos.
Hi I saw your how to on vmax forum for oct. 12 2021, thanks but where do I get a new rubber seal for the cap. thank you [email protected] wayne b.

I wonder if it was cut-out of the appropriate thickness of rubber gasket material?

Hi I saw your how to on vmax forum for oct. 12 2021, thanks but where do I get a new rubber seal for the cap. thank you [email protected] wayne b.
Order Yamaha part# 4X7-24612-00-00
That is a replacement part for XV250 Virago's, among others, but it's also a direct replacement for the seal on many other Yamaha models...they just don't tell you that. ;)

Latest posts

Back