Oil Leaking From Cylinder Weep Holes - Help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I just changed my rear valve cover gasket and converted to COPs ignition.
Worked on it all day. It started right up. Ran about 5 minutes, then shut down. Oil started draining from the weep holes in the #1 and #3 cylinders (rear cylinders - on the side between the fins on the cylinder).

It's definitely engine oil - and a LOT of it is pouring out these holes.
What would cause this? Thanks in advance.

Check your plugs. Perhaps they aren't tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could been a lot worse. Those valve covers are a pain in the ass to replace.

The valve cover gaskets need to be held into the cover groove. I've glued them onto the covers with gasket sealer. Also, tied them in place with thread. Slip the thread out after they are in place. Two sets of hands is helpful also. A little sealer on the end circles is prudent too. Sometimes they, the end circles, need to be pushed back in place before tightening the cover screws.

I got a good fix. Glued the gasket in place and installed - no leaks.

When I started this thread, I was not aware of what the weep hole was for. I was greatly concerned it was connected to a serious engine problem. Now I know it's only a drain hole for whatever fluids collect around the spark plug.

I got a good fix. Glued the gasket in place and installed - no leaks.

When I started this thread, I was not aware of what the weep hole was for. I was greatly concerned it was connected to a serious engine problem. Now I know it's only a drain hole for whatever fluids collect around the spark plug.

Before I change the plugs I use some canned air to blow back through those weep holes to try clean out around the sparkplugs.

Latest posts

Back