Reserve tank??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max&Whiskey

Reaction score
I got an 07 VMAX last week and Im wodering how far I can go on reserve? I:ummm: got 100 miles on my first tank before the fuel light came on. Is this about normal???

welcome to the wonderful world of short distance vmax rides. 100miles is just about right. i can get about another 20 i reserve but usualy dont push it. when the light comes on i start lookin for the next sunoco

Thanks for the info. I traded my GSXR 1000 for the max. Ive always wanted a Max since I grew up on V65's. Cant wait to get my hands on the 190HP max!!!

Thanks for the info. I traded my GSXR 1000 for the max. Ive always wanted a Max since I grew up on V65's. Cant wait to get my hands on the 190HP max!!!

Welcome

The reserve is 1 US Gal. If you get 100 miles and the light comes on that is 3 gallons used which is 33.3 MPG So in a perfect world you would coast into a gas station at 33 miles after the reserve is switched on..

Welcome

The reserve is 1 US Gal. If you get 100 miles and the light comes on that is 3 gallons used which is 33.3 MPG So in a perfect world you would coast into a gas station at 33 miles after the reserve is switched on..

Um, I always have followed the Owners Manual:

FUEL

Type UNLEADED FUEL
Fuel tank capacity 15L (3.3 Imp gal, 4.0 US gal)
Fuel reserve amount 3 L (0.7 Imp gal, 0.8 US gal)

Thus:

If the light comes on @ 100 miles that's 3.2 gallons used= 31.25 MPG and you could go 25 miles before you were out. :) in a perfect world?

Um, I always have followed the Owners Manual:

FUEL

Type UNLEADED FUEL
Fuel tank capacity 15L (3.3 Imp gal, 4.0 US gal)
Fuel reserve amount 3 L (0.7 Imp gal, 0.8 US gal)

Thus:

If the light comes on @ 100 miles that's 3.2 gallons used= 31.25 MPG and you could go 25 miles before you were out. :) in a perfect world?

You have what you read on paper, and you have reality. As soon as you see your fuel light come on pull in and check how many gallons it takes. On my bike its exactly 3.0-3.1 gallons.

You have what you read on paper, and you have reality. As soon as you see your fuel light come on pull in and check how many gallons it takes. On my bike its exactly 3.0-3.1 gallons.

:signlies:

............just kiddin'

Maybe you don't have a 4 gallon tank? Ever completely ran out, then totally filled it up? :hmmm:

I thought the fuel light could fluctuate because of the weird method it uses to determine when to activate. According to that thread (at least the way I understood it), it is not exactly dead accurate because various conditions influence it (temp, etc). If that is true, it could come on with different amounts of gas remaining and couldn't be used as an accurate method of determining how much gas is left. :confused2:

:signlies:

............just kiddin'

Maybe you don't have a 4 gallon tank? Ever completely ran out, then totally filled it up? :hmmm:

My bike doesnt stay together long enough to run out a tank of gas.:rofl_200:
Well mine is a stock gas tank I am a Stocker when it comes to the gas tank.
One thing I havent modified, maybe thats why I havent had any tank problems:confused2:
But no shit mine takes exactly one gallon after my low fuel led flashes at me

When my light comes on, if I fill up immediatley, it's always 3.18 gallons on the money. Hasn't changed in 3.5 years, 28000 miles.

Couple of weeks ago I rode 180 miles without running out of gas, I was over towards the Guadalupe mountains, was running 60-65mph, and had a spare 1 gallon can with me which I did not need.

When I filled up it took 3.86 gallons, obviously I was on fumes

I removed the shims from my needles and am back to stock now, and running 160DJ's mains which are a little leaner than the stock mikuni's I think, and still have the stock springs with two coils cut out of them.

I'm also running a 200/55-18 rear now which is admittedly taller than I would like, it's trimmed about 8% off the rpms at any given speed. i won't put a 55 on here again but probably go with a 50.

I'm really surprised the highway mileage this bike will get if you keep it 65 or under, which I did because I was trying to stretch my gas due to the distance between stations (there were none for the whole 180 miles I rode, which is why I took the spare gallon with me)

Rusty

Back