The shakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
Having not long purchased my Max and well aware of its shortfalls etc , i managed to have some fine weather so went for a ride after an early finish today at work . A long straight road and a passing lane whats a fellow booster to do . Well the shakes kicked in about 140 -150 kmph must admit not experiencing it before i was told it would be around 180 kmph .

1.- Is this normal speed for this or does it vary from year to year ?

2.- What does actually cause this ?

I am well aware of the Furber Fix , but im not one for high speed but thats not to say i dont boost either .
After all Yamaha Vmax - there is only 1 well actually (gen) 2 now:punk::punk::punk:

Having not long purchased my Max and well aware of its shortfalls etc , i managed to have some fine weather so went for a ride after an early finish today at work . A long straight road and a passing lane whats a fellow booster to do . Well the shakes kicked in about 140 -150 kmph must admit not experiencing it before i was told it would be around 180 kmph .

I am well aware of the Furber Fix , but im not one for high speed but thats not to say i dont boost either .
After all Yamaha Vmax - there is only 1 well actually (gen) 2 now:punk::punk::punk:

I never had a problem before or after the recall. I've cranked this beast up way past the cut off zone over the past 23 years.

Ask me nice and I'll post the official Yamaha recall letter I got in 1988 :biglaugh:

Nothing to be concerned about, just a steering head bearing swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CV_522SbM

Early on most of the shake was from people jumping up on top of the refrigerator like bike while the wind blasted the chest.

Have you tried the same speeds tucked behind the speedo???

Neil

I never had a problem before or after the recall. I've cranked this beast up way past the cut off zone over the past 23 years.

Ask me nice and I'll post the official Yamaha recall letter I got in 1988 :biglaugh:

Nothing to be concerned about, just a steering head bearing swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CV_522SbM

Early on most of the shake was from people jumping up on top of the refrigerator like bike while the wind blasted the chest.

Have you tried the same speeds tucked behind the speedo???

Neil

Please , please please i would love to have a look at the letter , when you say the swap do you mean the Fix ? you can email letter to me if you like

The lane weaving is usually from over tight head bearings.
The High Speed Wobble is usually from loose head bearings.

Mine just wobbles, weaves and shakes until the swingarm bust in half:confused2:
Just a VMAX

Please , please please i would love to have a look at the letter , when you say the swap do you mean the Fix ? you can email letter to me if you like

I'll just post it in a few....gotta deal with all the kickback...original owners should not bitch.

Neil

Just a VMAX

I experienced the wobble then yesterday coming over a bridge at only 100kmph had it again , havent had a look at it yet so not sure if the fix has been done on it but i did import it from Japan so you would think they are on to it :confused2:

Just a VMAX

What Yankee said. Something is loose or worn.

The V-max has a few different 'wobbles' so it would be useful if you could describe the 'wobble'.

Best way i could describe it as it felt like it was coming from the front wheel and that it was gonna fall off:ummm:
thats the old death wobble..only time i ever had a wobble was on a 1150e suzuki thought i was going to die....said everything was in spec...took of the stock bridgestones replaced with another brand never had the problem again.......these tire makers if they have a bad batch of tires go out they say nothing....or say you hit a pot hole....

Back