fuel ? need help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior273

Reaction score
I have a 1999. The fuel light comes on every time at about 100 miles then I put it on reserve. Until know the light does not come on and the bike runs straight through reserve until the tank is empty. What would make it do this? I always thought that you have to use reserve to get the rest of the gas to flow into the carbs.

Not an expert but i would say your fuel level sensor is bad. because of the vmax fuel system design htere realy is no reserve when that sensor turns on the light and turns off the pump until you manualy turn the pump back on with the switch. so if the sensor never detects a low fuel level the it nevers turns of the pump and it runs until its out of fuel andyou push the bike.

+1. Check your fuel sender. Next, check light and then fuel pump relay.

make sure your not running the reserve the whole time. thats what i did when i first got my bike. still feel like an idiot but it happens, just like you id hit about 80-100 miles then switch it over to the ON side thinking that i was turning the reserve on and i was out of gas.

FUEL

RES/ON

==

switch is tricky, want it to be on the ON side. i must have been thinking that by it being on the ON side i was turning the reserve on. who knows

i know i cant be the only one who ever did that LOL as a matter of fact i think ive read where someone else did the same thing

i think i get it now , the fuel is ON in the ON pos, and the RES is only on till the switch is moved to the right in to the RES poision IS THIS RIGHT ? i hope so as i have had the trike for 7 months and its been on RES all this time and i have ran out of fuel twice now doh!!!!!!!

johnboy

i think i get it now , the fuel is ON in the ON pos, and the RES is only on till the switch is moved to the right in to the RES poision IS THIS RIGHT ? i hope so as i have had the trike for 7 months and its been on RES all this time and i have ran out of fuel twice now doh!!!!!!!

johnboy

Yes that is correct! I thought it was the opposite also when I got my VMax. I believe it is a common error.

right thats it full of fuel and the swith set to the ON pos for the main tank , so now when the light comes on i know to then move the switch to RES

at last yee ha

johnboy

I found out with the very first tank how the switch works although I was almost stopped before it started back up. I thought something was wrong with it when it started stumbling and coughing then it died. I finally realized that it might be fuel and tried the switch, and nothing immediatly happened when I hit the starter but it finally started a few seconds later. Then I realized I was 15 miles from the nearest gas station so then I'm wondering how far reserve is gonna take me! I made it no problem, and I have since went 25 mi on reserve. I use the 100 mile mark to fill up and have no problems now. The farthest I went on a tank has been 142 miles.

Maybe for the COMMON folk... I guess I'm not as common as some of you... :eusa_dance:

:biglaugh:
J/K

But yours still has the original tank of gas in it when you bought it so you haven't needed reserve! When you ride it, you will see what we mean! LOL... :rofl_200: :whistlin::cheers:

Latest posts

Back