Michael Parks, Then Came Bronson

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
He's dead.

Michael Parks is known as an actor's actor by his peers with a breadth of astonishing range that has allowed him to portray stunning contrasts - sometimes in the same film, like in 2014's "TUSK", starring in dual roles as an erudite serial killer opposite Justin Long, and as a feeble rube opposite Johnny Depp. In, "KILL BILL: Vol.I and II". Parks portrayed spot-on contrasting roles as Texas Ranger Earl McGraw and the heavily accented Esteban Vihaio opposite Uma Thurman. Writer/Directors, including Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino, wrote roles specifically for Parks claiming all they need to do is "turn on the camera" to elicit a masterful performance. Parks has played in more than 100 films and TV shows over a 50-year career .He starts as a contract player in 1961, with the portray of the nephew of the character George Mac Michael on the ABC sitcom "The Real McCoys". He played Adam in John Huston's "The Bible: In the Beginning" (1966). His other early roles includes appearances in two NBC series: the legal drama "Sam Benedict", as Larry Wilcox in the 1962 episode "Too Many Strangers" and the medical drama "The Eleventh Hour" as Mark Reynolds in the 1963 segment "Pressure Breakdown". He also starred in "The China Lake Murders" and "Stranger by Night", having portrayed a police officer in both. From 1969 to 1970 he starred in the series "Then Came Bronson" of which he was the only running star. He sang the theme song for the show, "Long Lonesome Highway", which became a #20 Billboard Hot 100 and #41 Hot Country Songs hit. Albums he recorded under MGM Records (the label of the studio which produced the series) include "Closing The Gap" (1969)," Long Lonesome Highway" (1970) and "Blue". He also had various records of songs included on these albums. He played Philip Colby during the second season (1986-1987) of ABC's "Dynasty" spin-off series "The Colbys". He played the antagonist Irish mob boss Tommy O'Shea in "Death Wish V: The Face of Death" (1994), French-Canadian drug runner Jean Renault in the ABC television series "Twin Peaks", Dr. Banyard in "Deceiver" (1997), Texas Ranger Earl McGraw in "From Dusk till Dawn" (1996), and Ambrose Bierce in "From Dusk Till Dawn 3, The Hangman's Daughter" (2000) .After playing Earl McGraw in the "KILL BILL" film series he reprised the role in both segments of the film "Grindhouse". In "Red State"(2011) as villain Abin Cooper, quoting the Bible and issuing homicidal directives in the same gently insinuating voice, Parks plays a disturbingly soft-spoken psycho making the talk all the more convincing and scary with his brilliant delivery affecting a folksy down home accent and knowing just how to modulate his remarks for maximum effect most reviewers agreed with "Hollywood reporter" Todd McCarthy that he is mesmerizing as he spews Cooper's hate in a way that brooks no argument . In "TUSK" (2014) as Howard Howe, a real-life ancient mariner (a role Kevin Smith's tailor-made for Parks) "Parks has such light in his eyes, fire in his belly and a mellifluous purr in his voice" that "Variety wrote " it would probably be a pleasure to watch him recite the Manitoba phone book".

- IMDb Mini Biography By: J.S.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0662981/

I sure did enjoy TCB. Kinda like Route 66, but with a motorcycle rider, solo. I would call him, 'intense.' RIP.

I've got the "Eye of God" emblem on the window of the storage area where I keep the bikes over winter. RIP.

MV5BMGU5OTM4NmYtZWVmZi00YWZlLTg0YjItYjVlNmU1N2QwNzJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIzNDExOQ@@._V1_.jpg

My wife met him in Miami FL when he was filming "The Happening." One of her high school teenage girlfriends wanted to get Parks's autograph. They went to a location set on Biscayne Bay where filming was 'happening.' She got the autograph, and Parks told them, "you shouldn't be hanging-out at a movie set, it's not safe, you should all go home!" Sounds like he was afraid someone could get into trouble hanging-around with a bunch of older men.

How long-ago was this? Well, the movie advertised, "introducing Faye Dunaway!" It was released half a year before "Bonnie & Clyde," which launched Faye Dunaway's career into the stratosphere.

Interestingly, "The Happening" which was about young people who kidnap a mafia don, (Anthony Quinn) also starred George Maharis, of "Route 66" fame. Several points: Bobby Troup, a band leader who wrote the melody, "Route 66," was an ER doctor later on "Emergency," which did a great job of making people aware of a new profession and service for the community, fire dept. paramedics. Troup's wife played the ER nurse, "Dixie" and that would be Julie London, a blonde bombshell actress and singer in her own right.

Both "Route 66 " theme melody and "Long Lonesome Highway" made solid appearances in the Billboard Top 100 or country charts. To people of a certain age, hearing "Route 66" always makes me think of sitting in-front of a black & white tv, waiting to see where Martin Milner and George Maharis were going to stay, and who they were going to help-out in this show.

As I earlier observed, I consider "Then Came Bronson" to be "Route 66" with one principal actor and a bike instead of a Corvette.

The shot of Quinn being held hostage by George Maharis at the phone booth? In the background you can see a building looking like the Empire State Building (shape not height). Miami's skyline looks very different today! That building was once a department store, and now it's a structure on the National Register of Historic Places. In the 1960's, when Miami saw a great influx of Cubans fleeing Castro's rule in Cuba, this building was used for processing thousands of people coming to escape Communism. It was re-named the "Freedom Tower." It's the tiny pink narrow tower in the upper-left of this pic, just to the right of the three much-taller buildings.
3-1.jpg

Faye Dunaway's famous line from "The Happening:" "I don't want to play this game anymore!"

Latest posts

Back