American Pickers.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I was watching a rerun of American Pickers a couple nights ago. That little garden gnome looking guy Frank Fritz was rummaging through a garage full of stuff, looking for rusty gold. His partner was busy trying to talk this guy down in price for some old scooter with a busted fork.

Well, Garden Gnome climbs up on a bike that was parked in the back of the garage to get a better look at something, and what do you know?? He's standing on a Gen1 Vmax! I'm thinking if the moron JUST LOOKED DOWN, he'd have found something pretty cool. But nope..

I bet many of these shows stage their "finds." After-all it's 'entertainment,' and who says they need to be factual?

The ones that I am especially suspicious of are the storage locker ones.

These guys came close to my hometown, some friends of my wife's knew the place they stopped at. So basically a group of people, and some producers go out before the two guys in the show, and basically check it over, and set it up so it's more dramatic, and yadda yadda........ Move things around, and so forth, we slowly lost interest after that. They ain't gonna have the two stars of the show go to a place that doesn't have allot, they hand pick a few places, from hundreds of places to visit, it's about ratings. The people already know they are coming, because the producers, and film crew are there before they are. They are kinda scripted on what to say. It's like being told you won the lottery before you played, lol. So act suprised when they knock.

I bet many of these shows stage their "finds." After-all it's 'entertainment,' and who says they need to be factual?

The ones that I am especially suspicious of are the storage locker ones.

Funny you mention that, a guy got booted from the show for saying it was rigged. Producers would plant stuff in the storage lockers. This was prolly 5 years ago or so. We quit watching that too. I watch ice road truckers wich is dramatized, I read about that too. And highway threw hell on the weather channel, about heavy wreckers in Canada. I'm sure some of that is staged. Not the wrecks, but what the guys do, or say. It's all about ratings and money.

A friend of mine who runs a Harley repair business in GA was at a swap meet when Billy Lane came by and wanted to buy some of his stuff, camera crew filming. My friend didn't want to be on TV as a person pricing parts too-high, trying to take-advantage of the reality show star. Off-camera, Billy Lane told him, "price your stuff on the high side, this is a TV production, I can pay whatever you ask."

I'm not surprised they salt the lockers with 'finds,' on the storage locker shows.

It's prolly a tax write off anyways, but still I wouldn't want my face all over the tube selling high priced bike parts, because it's a TV production. Kinda puts a bad taste in other potential buyers mouths. I don't watch much tv anymore since this whole reality thing took over. It's the weather channel, a full blown music channel with nothing but music, or Netflix.

Latest posts

Back