What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a version of the Clutch Lever Mod that cost just over five bucks by using mini bearings to replace the 10mm sleeve in the brake lever. Then drilled out the clutch lever to 10mm and inserted three stacked mini bearings and replaced the pivot pin with a M6 bolt.

Here is pic of the mod off the Vmaxchat forum:
6b316c2d11ccb5dadb5f4be362faedf3ee9d2c2c.jpg

My write up is in the User Mods section: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=431794#post431794

Pretty much everything I planed to do is done. the archangel is more police friendly. My nitrous and CO2, for the airshifter, tanks are in the saddle bags. So now it's Archangel 5.0 :biglaugh: I have to take my hat of to Roger at fatmax.com. The man knows his craft. Like my bellypan, the faring was flawless when it arrived.

Attachments

• Archangel 5.0.jpg
    Archangel 5.0.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 35
Got my heated grips all. Set up on the bike....just need to go ride and test them.....

wandering idle and intermittent v boost

So my idle was creepiing up 200 rpm then coming down when I manually closed the throttle. After a few minutes of working the throttle and astute observance, of which only vmax drivers posess, I noticed the pull cable end gusset not coming into the tube, then if you moved the throttle closed it would pop into position, the cable sheath had come loose and was causing problems. A little recrimp and it worked fine.

I had problems with intermittent vboost, come times it would cycle open then catch and click when it was supposed to fully close. I gazed down under the carbs and the radiator hose had pushed the vboost cable sheathing long enough to break the cable armor. I cut about three quarters of an inch of radiator hose away under the cap and reconnected it. Man, it move the hose just enough away to unbind the vboost cable and it is working without being intermittent.

Also found to the lower right of the instrument cluster, a wire bundle was routed over a piece of the v boost mounting point, I lifted it and there had been chaffing on the metal mount so that is secure. Also the wire bundles above the hydraulic line were chaffing so a little anti chafe vaccum line is in order.

Working on a 30 year old max......

I noticed oil dripping from somewhere? Turned out to be the carburetor on the kickstand side. That would be a lot of oil to start dripping out of the air cleaner. Inside the airbox crankcase vent assembly I found one incorrectly installed o ring not bad I guess, since one was installed correctly, 50 % success rate. Then the cover plate seal was out of the groove in one corner, so its pretty much garbage. I had some close fitting Orings, but not sure what to use on the seal material. It's like a 1/8" chord. Might just buy some from Yamaha. Once fixed, this will allow the oil vapor to either get burned up or condensate and go back into the engine.
Man there are a lot of things to rebuild on an old bike!

and don't forget the self fusing silicone tape, I bet you could make gaskets from that stuff

Installed a set of adjustable levers. $23.00 on EBay, and they fit and work perfectly. Also got a Viking sissy bar bag, which is being permanently mounted tomorrow..

brand new harley pulled up beside me at a light, he looked at me and then opened his throttle to the stop, heh, heh, heh, an old fat bald guy left your 20k bike before you crossed the white bar, man I love this thing

Installed a set of adjustable levers. $23.00 on EBay, and they fit and work perfectly. Also got a Viking sissy bar bag, which is being permanently mounted tomorrow..
I have a set of adjustable levers that i bought last year but not for $23---Bill care to share that info? It would be appreciated.

brand new harley pulled up beside me at a light, he looked at me and then opened his throttle to the stop, heh, heh, heh, an old fat bald guy left your 20k bike before you crossed the white bar, man I love this thing

It never gets old, does it? Most of them pretend Im not there but there is always a CVO with bolt on everything that dont know the rules yet.

Viking bag pics.
EBay levers pics.

261633571630 is the EBay item number - Sold by Tophome Global. Price is now $23.95 free ship from Hong Kong. Perfect fit. There was the little hole already drilled to fit the brake lever return spring, too. I recall some folks may have had to drill them out? Only minor thing is that the screw that adjusts the brake cylinder pushrod is not threaded the same as stock. Needed a new screw. Standard thread, cost a quarter at the hardware store, with a new locknut.

Attachments

• 100_1221.jpg
    100_1221.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1222.jpg
    100_1222.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_1223.jpg
    100_1223.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_1224.jpg
    100_1224.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1225.jpg
    100_1225.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_1226.jpg
    100_1226.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 57
Installed some chrome scoops last week, thanks to Sean! Cleaned her up and put about 180 miles on Saturday. Found a nice spot to take some new pics of the bike. Excuse the dirty rear section, as I was on gravel for a few miles.

She's looking good. Here, for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• 20160430_175308.jpg
    20160430_175308.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 56
That bike is lookin' good for being 24 yrs old. I have always liked that color.

Latest posts

Back