Im trying to track down my fathers Drag V-MAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard back from Paul and Elizabeth this morning. looks like they remember your dad and the bike, and another person who bought it.

Dear Kelly:
It is so good to hear from you and we hope you are doing good and feeling good. We would also like to help Gordon Wilkinsons' son find his fathers' bike MadMax Enterprise has always been MadMax the Vmax in 1985 Paul (MadMax) converted the Vmax to chain drive as you know, MadMax the bike was featured in Cycle World.

Gordon Wilkinson was known as Mod Max. He also was featured in Cycle World. Gordon Wilkinson came here to meet Paul after he saw him in the magazine and to talk about the interest he had in dragracing. He wanted to dragrace Paul took him to the track for his first time at the track.

He followed him with his bike up to Lebonan Valley in Lebanon NY. He met a guy from Mass. that Paul knew and that is the guy that eventually bought the bike, his name was Paul Traversa (not so sure of the spelling) . We are sorry for the loss of Gordon and we wish his son the best to try and locate his bike.

Thinking of you Kelly and keep up the good work
Talk to you soon
Sincerely
Elizabeth and Paul

I do remember the name Paul Traversa. My mom has his number, so I will see if its the same one that gamorg02 posted. Im pretty sure he sold it a while back and it has been lost since then. I just really hope someone who knows the where abouts of the bike stumbles across this thread. Thanks for all the kind words and help so far everyone.

1000 rwhp Supra?
You da Man!!
I have owned 6 various year supras in the past!
Need pics!

Damn KJ , you ROCK ! :worthy:
i . PS. " KJ " YOU " ARE " THE MAN !

Nope, I didn't do anything cept contact some friends on the east coast. I needed to do that anyway, I haven't heard from them since Paul called me over a month ago. I'm pretty bad at that. :bang head:. don't mean I'm not thinking about my friends. I'm just bad at keeping in touch.

I'm glad they remembered the bike and who it bought it. One step closer to finding what happend to it.

Nope, I didn't do anything cept contact some friends on the east coast. I needed to do that anyway, I haven't heard from them since Paul called me over a month ago. I'm pretty bad at that. :bang head:. don't mean I'm not thinking about my friends. I'm just bad at keeping in touch.

I'm glad they remembered the bike and who it bought it. One step closer to finding what happend to it.

come on now KJ we all now that you work for the CIA. hehe. , great job man.

HI Bob,
I was about to correct you on the Mod Max/ Mad Max when I saw you corrected yourself. I see it has been a while since you have posted anything about your dads bike. You more then likely don't remember me, but I am Paul Traversa daughter and I used to come with him to talk to you and your mom and when we picked up the Mod Max. I will tell you that bike killed my back due to the low clearance I used to have to lift the ramp for dad to get it into the van. Any way I was just wondering if you found the bike and if it is still tike it used to be. I am sure dad would like to know as well. let me know thanks Heather

I just got off the phone with my father. He said he talked with your mom a few months ago, but that he could not remember the name of the person he sold it to, but that he lived in Cali. He's suggestion was to try to do a vin check in Cali. Although it was no longer street legal it may for some reason still have been registered or insured out there. Sorry we could not be any more help. Hope you find it and if you do, please let us know. I have fond memories of the bike as well. As far as it going 9's I really don't remember, but will talk to my father tonight when I see him to see if he remembers what he ran with it.

This is a great story. What a network has developed over the years for Vmax
enthusiast. I hope the ending of the story for you Bob, is finding and buying the bike back. If not, a replica is very doable still. Good chance it's still around. Best of luck.
Steve-o

Wow that is so cool, Nice write up, I hop you find the bike to.

I knew it was going to be a long shot finding the bike in one piece. I have actually been thinking of building a replica. For anyone on here who has intimate knowledge of the parts that were on the bike could throw together a quick list that I can use as reference incase the tribute bike becomes reality.

Also glad to see this thread get some action

Bob

You could try to get a copy of the actual article they did on the bike cause usually they are pretty thorough in listing the modifications on any featured bike. Or for that matter try to contact Cycle World and see if the have any more info in their archives. But if I was trying to find a specific bike I'd try running ads in craigslist or any other type of lost and found type of publication. Especially if you offer say a little reward of some kind you'll have every owner of every 85-86 Vmax in California running to the garage to check vin numbers. Or you could always check with the Cal DMV cause regardless if it's street legal they still have to have titled it there. Good luck bro, hope you find it.

HI Bob and everyone else. I talked to dad last night and he was able to get the bike to go 10 flat. No matter what he did he could never reach that 9 mark. I did put a post on the Lebanon Valley Dragway facebook page asking for help from anyone that may have information on your dads bike. As far as specific parts, truly your best bet would be to call my father. He did read the article last night and said that when he cot the bike it was lightened up a bit. ( it was still a heavy bike around 600 lbs with dad on it) the padded seat was removed and replaced by an aluminum seat. Maybe try finding some race tracks out in Cali on facebook and put a post on their sites. Really sorry we could not help more, but like I said try giving dad a call and he may be able to help more with the parts list. Good luck

HI Bob and everyone else. I talked to dad last night and he was able to get the bike to go 10 flat. No matter what he did he could never reach that 9 mark. I did put a post on the Lebanon Valley Dragway facebook page asking for help from anyone that may have information on your dads bike. As far as specific parts, truly your best bet would be to call my father. He did read the article last night and said that when he cot the bike it was lightened up a bit. ( it was still a heavy bike around 600 lbs with dad on it) the padded seat was removed and replaced by an aluminum seat. Maybe try finding some race tracks out in Cali on facebook and put a post on their sites. Really sorry we could not help more, but like I said try giving dad a call and he may be able to help more with the parts list. Good luck

I do appreciate the effort, Ive decided that once I get my car back together (again) that I'd really like to buy a Vmax and not copy his bike but build my own. And with my history in the supra world I will most likely fabricate a custom turbo setup. Something you may like to hear is that I had a plaque made of his article from Cycle World and its hanging in my shop (basement lol) next to the plaque from my Dsport article where my Supra was featured. Im sure my wife isnt going to be happy about me starting a new project hahaha

Bob

Call me crazy but I stumbled across this video and it looks like the exact same wheels as my dads from the article. The front wheel is OE but that looks to be the exact same split spoke Kosman rear rim and rigid rear suspension. also the rear fender is maroon and its an 85. Does anyone know Jeff Huber? I messaged him on youtube, its a long shot but i figure why not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6Lmc20zcM#action=share

Latest posts

Back