My V-Max Sold (in Hungary)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
My neighbor in Hungary was able to sell my V-Max for the equivalent of about $3,900.

I'm going to miss that awesome bike until I get my FOURTH V-Max... eventually when I get to Oklahoma City.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the conveniences that you all take for granted every day. I can get almost anything I want whenever I want. Spend some time in Eastern Europe and you'll appreciate that!

Sounds pretty cool. Do you know what year your 4th Vmax will be? Also which conveniences are you speaking of if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Good Luck with all that's going on in your life. Some day's it's good to just Chill, we all need it...

Do you know what year your 4th Vmax will be

Probably a first generation.

Also which conveniences are you speaking of if you don't mind me asking?

Time doesn't permit me to list it all. But here are some examples:
Basically there is little or no LIBERTY. over there. It's illegal to modify any vehicle without getting a letter of "permission" from a special modification office. Been there, done that. When you go to an automotive parts store, you walk in to a desk. No looking or shopping. You provide your VIN and the part you need, then they get you the OEM part for your vehicle.
You cannot ride your bicycle across the street. You must get off, push it across, and then get back on it.
If you are walking or jogging close to a main road, you must wear a reflective vest. A friend got a ticket from the police for not wearing one.
Then the highest VAT in Europe (tax on stuff coming into Hungary). 27%. On anything. About 6 years ago I noticed the price of a new Gen 2 V-Max at the Yamaha dealer - $25,000. I ordered a cell phone from a website. The phone was intercepted in Budapest, and held there while they sent me a letter and asked for a copy of my invoice. After I sent that, they told me to pay 27% of the price I paid, then they would release my phone to be mailed to my house. Yeah, THAT'S efficient!!! :bang head:

It's a VERY rules-driven culture. I'm glad to be back in the USA. I hope to never leave.
Besides, after spending 22 years Active Duty in the US military, I value our great land.

This news looks like you got out just in-time:
Hungary’s parliament approved a law targeting foreign-funded non-governmental organizations, the latest step in Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s self-described rollback of liberal democracy that has put him on a collision course with the European Union.

Lawmakers of Orban’s ruling Fidesz party, which has a comfortable majority in the assembly, pushed through the law on Tuesday to create a special registry for “foreign-funded organizations.” It affects those receiving more than 7.2 million forint ($26,000) a year from abroad, ordering them to declare their “foreign” status on their websites and in all press kits and publications.

The new rules are necessary because foreign-funded NGOs can “threaten the country’s political and economic interests and interfere with the functioning of its institutions,” according to the text of the law, authored by Gergely Gulyas, a Fidesz vice president.

The law is a further step in Orban’s push to prevent what he calls foreign meddling in political matters by civil groups and institutions as he seeks to build Hungary into an “illiberal state” modeled on Russia and Turkey. The European Parliament last month approved a resolution saying Hungary poses a “clear risk of serious breach” of the rule of law and called for a procedure that may lead to the suspension of the eastern European country’s voting rights in the trading bloc.

Tens of thousands of people protested in Budapest in April against the NGO law and another bill targeting Central European University, founded by Hungarian-born billionaire investor and philanthropist George Soros. Though the legislation doesn’t name Soros, ruling party politicians first floated the idea of an NGO bill in January saying they wanted to “sweep out” organizations associated with the financier, including those that promote human rights and government transparency.

‘Dangerous Path’

“The Hungarian government’s public statements already stigmatize those who stand up for human rights and fundamental European values as serving foreign interests,” Marta Pardavi, a co-chair of the Hungarian Helsinki Committee, said in a statement posted on the organization’s website. The law “is a further slide down the dangerous path of closing civic space, something that has no place in a European democracy.”

Orban has said the NGO bill would deter people from associating themselves with civil society groups, such as those sponsored by Soros, who he accused of trying to undermine the government’s anti-immigration agenda. Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic are facing an EU lawsuit for refusing to abide by a decision by the bloc’s members to accept refugees based on national quotas.

Other countries have also targeted foreign-funded NGOs, sometimes singling out those supported by the Open Society Foundations, Soros’s main conduit for aid in which he has spent more than $1.6 billion on developing democracy in eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union over the past 30 years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ary-approves-crackdown-on-foreign-funded-ngos

My neighbor in Hungary was able to sell my V-Max for the equivalent of about $3,900.

I'm going to miss that awesome bike until I get my FOURTH V-Max... eventually when I get to Oklahoma City.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the conveniences that you all take for granted every day. I can get almost anything I want whenever I want. Spend some time in Eastern Europe and you'll appreciate that!

Welcome back! Being military myself, VMAX rider, and in OKC sounds like we might be able to share stories. I will look for updates when you get yours. Maybe we can hook up sometime.

Latest posts

Back