I have a 2nd gear problem ......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score

Q: Second gear is shot in my Vmax, is this repair a big deal?

A: The motor needs to come out of the bike and the cases need to be split to get to the gears.
The transmission can be fixed for around $300 if you do it, $1300 or more if you were to pay a shop.

Q: I just bought a 1985 Vmax and I’m now having problems shifting into second gear. The former owner said the bike wasn’t abused, do you think he lied?

A: He may or may not be lying to you, 1985 models had an older style 2nd & 5th gear that has been replaced with better/stronger gears in later models. The older gears were prone to failure.

Q: Is gear undercutting recommended in general or mainly for Racing?

A: It only makes them better. It gives the gears a more positive mesh. If your 2nd is going out it is definitely the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to buy a V-MAX, and would like to know what year it was when they improved the second gear problem.

Sometime mid year in 1985 and the early models all had recall work issued out to them. ANY year can have the problem though. It all depends on how it was driven.
Sean

Segment problems usually involve being stuck in one gear and or not shifting past a certain gear.

Sean

So if I have the second gear problem, I need the pinion gears for 2 and 5 and not the gear wheels for 2 and 5, right?

There's 4 gears, as a set.

Attachments

• 20110102_008.jpg
    20110102_008.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 37
You just need one of our undercut transmissions. That gets rid of the stock tolerances and gets a precision cut transmission (plus an optional overdrive)

Sean

Yeah, Sean. I know, but I have a bunch of gears already at the house that the PO had collected to start a trans project. I believe I have the shorter of the two transmission shafts, but I'll get a couple pics when I get home and post them on here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

2nd and 3rd gears are the biggest weak areas. BUT, they mesh into 5th and 4th so you're usually screwed to try and do it without getting expensive anyway. Yes, you can maybe put used sets together and have it work but longevity and rework will get you in the long run.

Sean

To add to it. I have taken very few engines apart that I felt comfortable putting the transmissions back in as is. Most would probably work fine but I don't want to have to do it again for a long time.

I do get venture transmissions in that we sell used occasionally that might save you some money too. Get pics of what you have and go from there.

Sean

Ok. Here's most of what was in the box of parts I got with the bike...
It looks like half a transmission and some middle gear parts, but I'm wrong a lot.

uploadfromtaptalk1328586666026.jpg

All the trans is there except for a couple of missing bearings and a spacer washer.

Cool. I might actually have those in a ziploc bag here. I'll pm you when the money is ready. Thanks.

Won't fix it in this case 99% of the time. Plus, swapping the fork involves getting all the way in there too.

Sean

Latest posts

Back