videos

Go Back   VMaxForum.net > Main Category > VBoost Room

VBoost Room General Bike Discussions

Re: Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils
Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils

Here's some stuff to read if you have time or just want to waste some time at work. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Happy reading! :bash0000:

VMOA # 4551

Old 09-06-2006, 04:16 PM

My VMax: 2003 matte black
My other bikes: 2004 FZ1
Awards Showcase
Award of Posting Excellence (APE) 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmax
Here's some stuff to read if you have time or just want to waste some time at work. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Happy reading! :bash0000:
It is like anything else we get taken advantage of, like a pill that will make you 10 years younger, or vitamins that will make an 80 year old men have better sex life. If I bought the bike old/used then I might have used the cheap auto oil but like anything when we buy new we have a tendency to try to take care of it the best way we can.
all I know is that cars do not have engine and transmission using the same oil so naturally the demand and stress on the oil is much greater than in a motorcycle so I'll still use amsoil synthetic just to make me feel better
________
buy vapir vaporizer

Last edited by firefly; 02-08-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 PM

My VMax: 86 Max Currently Blue
My other bikes: 94 ZX-11

I run Amsoil in all my vehicles. But I'm kind of anal about such things.
(According to Mrs. Vmx12s)

Old 09-06-2006, 09:39 PM

I use delvac diesel engine oil. It's synthetic, it's cheaper than synthetic oil made for gas engines, has a nice additive package(lots of moly and such), and is safe to use in gas engines that do not have a catalytic converter. (the additives in diesel engine oils have slippery metals that lubricate well but kill catalytic converters)

Go to Bobistheoilguy.com for more than you ever want to know about oil (motor oil forum)

VMOA #4077
'96 black max with fatmax bags, jardine slip-ons, ufo 17" wheels, drag bars, 1" lowering blocks in forks, 11.5" progressive shocks in rear

Old 09-07-2006, 03:09 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousCycle
I use delvac diesel engine oil. It's synthetic, it's cheaper than synthetic oil made for gas engines, has a nice additive package(lots of moly and such), and is safe to use in gas engines that do not have a catalytic converter. (the additives in diesel engine oils have slippery metals that lubricate well but kill catalytic converters)

Go to Bobistheoilguy.com for more than you ever want to know about oil (motor oil forum)
I used shell rottella 5-40 Diesel and was very happy with it, it made the engine & shifting much smoother than even amsoil but being anal about what kind of oil I decided to go with a motorcycle specific oil and went back to amsoil.

Lots of moly is BAD for the clutch and will shorten its life, yes diesel oils have a more hefty detergent additives.
shell synthetic rottella @ $13 a gallon vs amsoil @ $8.50 a quart is it worth it? I really don't know.
I have 28K of daily surface street riding and LOTS of shifting with no hint of clutch slipping! so I guess I am doing something right.
________
volcano digital vaporizer

Last edited by firefly; 02-08-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM

I currently have Amsoil in my FZ1. I can't really tell any difference in any way from dino juice. I will likely go back to my old method. I do a large number of short trips on my bikes, so am pretty hard on the oil. I will begin again to change the oil every 2k and the filter every other time. I'll use dino juice (auto) w/ no friction modifers. If it's available, I usually pick Rotella T because it's a 15-40 weight for a little extra protection.

The MCN articles were very good. Couldn't find it on their website w/ a quick check.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 AM

Awards Showcase

I just took a sample of the amsoil after 3k it gets dark but its viscosity is really as good as it went in.
________
buy silver surfer

Last edited by firefly; 02-08-2011 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-20-2006, 12:07 PM

My VMax: None :(
My other bikes: 05' FJR

Well, I ran normal "car" grade 20-50 in the max over the summer. I lost less oil and the bike did stay a bit cooler. Though I've been slightly concerned that I might blow some seals running the oil that thick.

So far, it's been fine. However, I'll be swithcing back to a lighter blend now that fall is on it's way and it's getting cooler.

I've felt no difference at all in the clutch in any of my oil changes.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimus
Well, I ran normal "car" grade 20-50 in the max over the summer. I lost less oil and the bike did stay a bit cooler. Though I've been slightly concerned that I might blow some seals running the oil that thick.

So far, it's been fine. However, I'll be swithcing back to a lighter blend now that fall is on it's way and it's getting cooler.

I've felt no difference at all in the clutch in any of my oil changes.
I'm running same as you and will also change to perhaps 10-40 over the winter. You shouldn't worry about the thickness of the oil. I notice no difference in pressure on my oil gage and you know yourself that when the oil is cold, it will act like a 20 wt, which is not too heavy for warm weather months and the 50 wt is a plus when it gets hot. In the future I plan on sticking with a 10-40 for all year driving and will only use a good brand of car oil. The "old man" drives with 20-50 all year, but then he lives in ahhhhhh what's the name of that state next to Mexico that's being overrun by the Home Boys? Ohhhhyea, Texas. Just kidding here.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM

My VMax: None :(
My other bikes: 05' FJR

Yea, the only time running the 20-50 concerns me is after the engine is nice and warm and I nail the piss outta vboost. Other then that, I'm fine.

Looking like I might need to do the oil change soon though. We are already getting cooler weather then normal here in Ga. September is normaly still a roasting month with Late October getting to nice temps. For the last week it's only made it into the 70's durring the day and low 50's at night. So we might actually get a nice winter this year. I haven't seen a real good snowfall down here in over 10 years.