coil conversion harness
Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 PM

My VMax: 1988/ Gray
My other bikes: schwinn
Awards Showcase
Bling award Mod Monkey 
Total Awards: 2
Default coil conversion harness

ok Guys I have completed a run of 20 harnesses. For all that have spoken for them earlier, you have been sent emails , or private messages. If all of you that said you wanted them, take them. There will be only one more set available. Until more resistors become available. The issue is: the resitors are a made per order basis only. The best part is they are made right here in the USA. The bad part is they are saying 7 weeks out. We chose these because they are an excellent resistor with high parameters in a small package. This is what the final product looks like
Thanks Gannon

Offer Expired! G

Last edited by 88vmx12; 04-22-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Re: coil conversion harness
Old 09-13-2010, 04:48 PM

My VMax: 1986 and 1994
My other bikes: 2005 Harley Softail Springer
Default Re: coil conversion harness

For us uninformed , what do these do ?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 PM

My VMax: none
My other bikes: '16 Scout, '16 Beta 300
Awards Showcase
Hello there, Officer..! Award of Posting Excellence (APE) 

It is a plug-n-play way run COPs (coil on plug) like sportbikes use. Just saves you from having to cut and splice the COP's harness connector into the Vmax's harness.

Just wondering, why do you need a resistor in there? I spliced my COP's right in and haven't had any issues all summer.

VMF Roadside Assistance
P- Bike Pickup (truck w/ramp)
T- Tools
W- Workspace
G- Local Guide
R- Ride Partner

Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
mod monkeys bitch

My VMax: --
My other bikes: 1989 Honda Hawk GT (NT650)
Awards Showcase
Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Nice guy award Postus Whorus 
Total Awards: 3

same question on the resistor.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Bling award Mod Monkey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
same question on the resistor.
The resistor is in there for one main reason. With the resistor the harness becomes a universal harness for the earlier ignition and for all who is running a Dyna set up. The cops (denso) have a 1.3 - 1.5 ohm's resistance. without the ignition seeing the resistance of a stock coil, it is stressed. The earlier ignitions do not handle the stress and are not built as well as the later ones. The later ignitions seem to handle the lower ohm's resistance better than the stock coils . However who knows how long the later ignitions can handle the stress of seeing a lower ohm's resistance. The Dyna set up (per Dyna) there equipment needs to see that resistance of the stock coils otherwise you can nuke your Dyna. So this way this harness is set up for whom ever may sell, trade their harnesses later. The new owner (not knowing what it was set up for) will not have any problems with ignition failure. Plus I won't have to make several different harnesses for each application. No matter what the ignition will see the stock resistance. Also this makes the harness very user friendly for the few out there that do not have the skills to splice a harness. Plus this also saves your harness from being hacked or spliced into. Ultimately helping maintain the value of your bike for future resale. Some people if they see that the bikes electrical harness has been messed with they might feel reluctant to make the purchase. Not knowing what else has been done with the bike. When purchasing a bike and having two choices. Both bikes having 20,000 miles on them and in identical condition. One having a pristine wire harness and the other having been spliced into. The buyer more than likely will turn away from what they might fear as a potential electrical nightmare!
Gannon

Last edited by 88vmx12; 09-13-2010 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM

My VMax: 1986 and 1994
My other bikes: 2005 Harley Softail Springer

Seeing Gannon was nice enough to explain this to me I'm taking the liberty of posting his answer so others who dont know about this issue can be informed...Thanks Gannon .

Old timer, The coil conversion harnesses allow you to convert your bike to the new COP (coil on plug) set up that almost all new bikes and cars are using. Many say it gives a better spark at the spark plug and has a crisper throttle response. When using these harnesses you can either leave the factory coils on the bike or remove them. The harnesses plug directly into the factory bike harness. Then you need to get some COP's or coil sticks from a salvaged bike or ebay. The coil sticks have the coil directly above the spark plug and is about the size of a small stack of quarters. They look like this. Image: http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/z...coilsticks.jpg
Gannon

Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 PM

Awards Showcase
Bling award Mod Monkey 

Old timer , I am glad I could help you understand
Gannon

Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 PM

My VMax: '90 Blue & '98 Cbn. Fbr.
My other bikes: 2 CBR1100XX , Royal Star, XS-1
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88vmx12 View Post
The resistor is in there for one main reason. With the resistor the harness becomes a universal harness for the earlier ignition and for all who is running a Dyna set up. The cops (denso) have a 1.3 - 1.5 ohm's resistance. without the ignition seeing the resistance of a stock coil, it is stressed. The earlier ignitions do not handle the stress and are not built as well as the later ones. The later ignitions seem to handle the lower ohm's resistance better than the stock coils . However who knows how long the later ignitions can handle the stress of seeing a lower ohm's resistance. The Dyna set up (per Dyna) there equipment needs to see that resistance of the stock coils otherwise you can nuke your Dyna. So this way this harness is set up for whom ever may sell, trade their harnesses later. The new owner (not knowing what it was set up for) will not have any problems with ignition failure. Plus I won't have to make several different harnesses for each application. No matter what the ignition will see the stock resistance. Also this makes the harness very user friendly for the few out there that do not have the skills to splice a harness. Plus this also saves your harness from being hacked or spliced into. Ultimately helping maintain the value of your bike for future resale. Some people if they see that the bikes electrical harness has been messed with they might feel reluctant to make the purchase. Not knowing what else has been done with the bike. When purchasing a bike and having two choices. Both bikes having 20,000 miles on them and in identical condition. One having a pristine wire harness and the other having been spliced into. The buyer more than likely will turn away from what they might fear as a potential electrical nightmare!
Gannon
1.) What years are the " early " ignitions ?

2.) Is there a list of acceptable / recommended cops to choose from ?

3.) How much is a harness w/ resistor ?

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be
curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work
instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC

So, evidently we've learned nothing at all over the past 2,060 years.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Awards Showcase
Bling award Mod Monkey 

Sean, please give your imput on when the ignition was upgraded! The COP's are a Denso and It is safest to stick with Busa / GSXR's since most have been running them. The harnesses I am selling are $70 since we have added resistors to them. Plus flat rate shipping $5 USA / $10 Canada , Mexico / $15 Europe . COP's are on ebay from $20-$160 a set, mostly averaging in the $45-$65 range.
Gannon

Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 AM

My VMax: 2001 Carbon Fiber
My other bikes: 85 VMax 88 Hurricane 1000

nicely done, Gannon... they look great!