Vmax fork questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I've searched around but never came up with a definitive answer on either of these questions.

1. What is the exact length of the OEM forks (weight OFF of the front wheel) from top of fork tube to C/L of the axle. No mods to forks (no lowering)

2. What is the offset of the triple trees? Meaning if you take a measurement from the centerline of the steering stem to the centerline of the fork tube?

:punk: Hey, the fork tubes on my spare 85 set are 34" long from the top of the cap to the centerline of the axle. The offset from the center line of the steering stem to the centerline of the tubes is 1-15/16". Hope that helps, Spurs

So I did a little playing around with some numbers. I'm not sure how accurate they are because I got most of them from the internet but I did find multiple locations that gave the same info.

I plugged them all into a rake and trail calculator. I found that RB racing (same guys who used to sell vmax turbo kits) have a very nice one on their website. They have a whole page of formulas to calc different things. I found it interesting.

So, using the OEM numbers I came up with a trail of 4.93". All the specs I've found show that the OEM trail is supposed to be 4.7". I ran the OEM numbers to see if the calculator is working. Not sure why its coming up with .23" more trail than what is advertised but its close.

I then plugged in new numbers for everything. Radial tire diameter, extended swingarm, different triples with 5mm less offset, shorter USD forks, etc. Ran the numbers and I come up with a trail of 4.51" Sounds reasonable.

I don't see any mention of rear shocks but you would think lowering the rear would change the rake. I know you are not physically changing it but by lowering the rear it seems that it would.

Seems there are just too many factors to consider but if anyone is planning some radical changes to their bike a calculator like this may at least give an idea of what to expect.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html

Attachments

• OEM Trail.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 20
  • USD Trail.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back