Oil leaking from intake bolt holes? WTF

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I removed the intake manifolds from #3 and #4 cylinder heads. The right side.. Oil was leaking out of the bolt holes for #3:ummm: but not #4. Why would these bolt holes be connected to a oil gallery or return?:ummm:

They are and it's normal.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Wow, That'll be the next thing for my 89....Or it'll never happen just because it's the way it is...:bang head:

The bolts that go thru into the oil galleries have little dobbs of silicone on them from the factory, once that is removed they will often leak. I'm a little leary about replacing that silicone for fear of plugging something in the oil delivery system.

When I removed manifold #3, oil was everywhere.:bang head: Is this a supply or return?

I may have figured out why plug #3 looked oily. I hope

What's the fix? A O-ring around both bolts? Or a shitload of RTV ?:confused2:
:bang head:

I used a tiny dab of ultra black. Applied directly to threads of the two bolts. I didn't want to end up with a big glob on the bolts like what was done from the factory. Haven't had any leaks from it. I cleaned the bolts with brake cleaner first and also got as much oil out of the threaded hole as possible so the rtv would bond.

i WELL , THAT EXPLAINS WHY ON MY " 2006 " , THERE IS A SLIGHT SMEAR OF LIGHT GREY SEALER ON MY INTAKE BOLTS FROM THE FACTORY ! .. I ALWAYS HAVE WONDER WHY ! .. :confused2:

I cleaned the bolts with brake cleaner first and also got as much oil out of the threaded hole as possible so the rtv would bond.

Everytime I think Iv got it all clean.. more crap pukes out..:rofl_200:

QUOTE=rebar;179684]Everytime I think Iv got it all clean.. more crap pukes out..:rofl_200:[/QUOTE]

i THAT SUCKS ! .. I'VE BEEN WITH CHICKS LIKE THAT ! .. :confused2:

Yea.. don't remind me. more than once. But we keep coming back don't we.:biglaugh:

barf.gif
:rofl_200:

Someone get me a double shot and a beer please.

It doesn't go into an oil galley. It does however go into the hole that one of the studs sticks up into and traps oil that is flowing around the head. So, there is no pressure but about a small pill bottles worth of oil that is captured in the cavity.

That bolt and the one caddy corner from it on the other head are this way. Also, note that those 2 allen head bolts are slightly shorter. They are done that way to prevent binding since the longer ones would hit the cylinder head nut.

Hopefully this clears it up a bit.

Sean

It doesn't go into an oil galley. It does however go into the hole that one of the studs sticks up into and traps oil that is flowing around the head. So, there is no pressure but about a small pill bottles worth of oil that is captured in the cavity.

That bolt and the one caddy corner from it on the other head are this way. Also, note that those 2 allen head bolts are slightly shorter. They are done that way to prevent binding since the longer ones would hit the cylinder head nut.

Sean

I noticed on my '06 that those 2 bolts were stainless and the other 6 were black.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I didn't catch the different lengths when I removed and reassembled. I haven't torqued them yet though.

The two outboard bolts are the shorter?

one shorter on each head! cylinder number 2 (left front) and cylinder number 3 (right rear). upper outboard holes. 20mm long for 6 of the bolts and 16mm long for the 2 shorter ones.

Sean

one shorter on each head! cylinder number 2 (left front) and cylinder number 3 (right rear). upper outboard holes. 20mm long for 6 of the bolts and 16mm long for the 2 shorter ones.

Sean

Thanks for the clarification. I did have the 4 right side bolts laid next to each other the other day. I would hope I could see a 4 mm difference. I will double check.

I just pulled the VMax heads off my 1300 block today and ran into this difference.

When I put it together last winter I didn't know about the different lengths, ended up using all equal lengths. Today when I pulled the head retaing nuts off, two of them hung up on the longer bolts I had put in the intakes. I took the heads off with the Venture intakes still attached to the head and found out that the bolt just slightly protruded into the stud/bolt cavity. When I put it together last winter, I put the intake boots on after the heads were mounted so I didn't notice it then.

Gary

I've posted this in a other thread but I can't get the short bolts to tighten. It's as if they are not even grabbing thread. What do I do???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back