videos

Go Back   VMaxForum.net > Main Category > VBoost Room

VBoost Room General Bike Discussions

Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 AM

Smile Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

Howdy Boys, new guy here. Most call me scratch on the internet.
I am going to need some help, so I thought I would introduce myself and hopefully make some friends. I am very surprised at the lack of on-line resources on the max, given the amount of time it has been in production.

Anyway, I have been a fan of the max since the first time I saw one, way back in high school. When I lived in Texas, I even chased a guy on a max down to try to get him to sell it to me or at least ask if he knew of one for sale.
Now I live in Tokyo and am finally a max owner. The story behind the acquisition is worth telling I suppose.
Last year over beers, the manager of my race team asked me why I don?t ride a street bike. I told him it was too dangerous to ride motorcycles on the street; particularly for me. I have a hard time separating the track from the street, especially on a sport bike. I had even tried buying street versions of my bikes, but invariably they would end up being tuned and hopped up and back I would go to my race habits. I told him that I should try it on a cruiser and mentioned my admiration of the max.
A year or so later, the manager guy, who also owns a bike shop, calls me up and asks me to come by his shop. A few hours later I rode out on a new to me 92 max. I gave him some old race parts off of my R1 in exchange. A good deal I would say, particularly since all the mods I would have done to the max had already been completed. I am flattered that he remembered that conversation.

I catch a lot of crap from my friends that know me from racing, a few Hardly or cruiser jokes but, I am happy with it. It handles pretty well for being such a fat pig. I guess the best thing I could say about the handling is that it is quirky.
It is slow compared to the racers, and I can?t imagine that v-boost thing coming on mid corner.

Again I couldn?t be happier. I think it will be a long friendship.

scratch

Re: Introduction
Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Introduction

Welcome, glad to have you join us here. There are many good places to get info on the Vmax ranging from INGO's page to our very own Vmax owners association. I hope that this and the other sites make you feel at home and can provide any and all help that you need!

David
ASI Instructor
Total Control Instructor

2005 Yamaha Vmax
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
2007 BMW K1200GT
2005 SV650S
1991 VFR750
2000 Buell Blast
2004 Honda CRF250X
1985 Suzuki GS700E

Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the welcome David.

I joined the VMOA tech list and have read most the archive. Found the outlaw max site which has been helpful.
I guess my point was that when I've joined other street bike forums (CBR / R1) they have tens of thousands of members. Anything you can think of had been done by at least a few of them.

Glad to be here, hope to contribute to the community.

scratch

Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 AM

Welcome scratch. We are a new site, so we are trying to increase membership. Please tell as many Vmaxers as you can about the place. Stick around, hopefully the site will grow.
Ken VMOA #3892

Welcome aboard namasfl
Old 11-21-2006, 08:47 AM

Default Welcome aboard namasfl

Always good to see another member from the sunny state of Florida. Pull up a chair and join the rest of the group in discussing whatever is on your mind or just check us out 'till you're comfy and settled in.

Re: Welcome aboard namasfl
Old 11-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Welcome aboard namasfl

hello and welcome!
Ken VMOA #3892

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM

Thanks guys- got an '06 Vmax back in August- already have 6000 miles. I can't seem to get off the damn thing. A few weeks ago I went to Key West from Palm Beach County, had a lemonade, turned around and rode back.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namasfl
Thanks guys- got an '06 Vmax back in August- already have 6000 miles. I can't seem to get off the damn thing. A few weeks ago I went to Key West from Palm Beach County, had a lemonade, turned around and rode back.
There seems to be something hypnotic about the Max and it's got us all under its spell. As long as you're still willing to go home after a ride, you're doing just fine.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:31 PM

My VMax: 2005 Shift Red
Default Newbie

Hello everyone,

New guy here, just wanted to say hi. I'm reading through everything I can find on the V-Max. I'm hoping to get one in the near future. Preferably a 1985.

I'm located in NC, and I was in the Marine Corps, and now I am a civilian working for the Marine Corps. I ride as often as I get a chance, and have always been crazy about the V-Max, so I think I'll just have to buy one.

Is there a thread or sticky that has all the changes through the years around? Like I said, I'm hoping to land a 1985, but I may go as far as 2007 if need be. So, any suggestions are welcome.

Re: Newbie
Old 12-10-2006, 11:06 PM
maleko89 is

My VMax: 1999 VMax
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award Bike event award The DOH! award 
Total Awards: 3
Default Re: Newbie

I wouldn't get anything older than a '96. They had improved brakes, forks, charging system, and ignition system. Beware older bikes with low miles, this bike needs to be ridden often....otherwise it degrades quickly. FOr info on the differences over the years, try here: http://www.vmaxchat.com/. Click on Tips and then Model history. Good luck in the pursuit of YOUR vmax!