Kerker 4-2-1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
:th_SmileyBoobs::th_image003:Lets hear it for the Kerker's :th_image003::th_SmileyBoobs:

LOL, with all the talk of the UFO and Mark's systems. I have to give props to the Kerker 4-2-1.

Stainless, Carbon fiber, 2" to 2.5" You have to love the sound. Who cares if you have to cut off your centerstand. What better excuse to get that bike lift you always wanted and give your back a much deserved break.

Besides, once installed you can make what ever muffler or install a different muffler and still have that great Kerker sound :clapping:

I picked up a used Kerker from Sean for a sweet price, Juggled pipes on it (Kerker Carbon Fiber w/ 2" high flow, Supertrapp 2.5" 10-12 disks) now this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_LNS289Y1M

Attachments

• IXIL_1.jpg
    IXIL_1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IXIL_2.jpg
    IXIL_2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
That's definitely one of the Meanest Sounding VMaxes I have ever heard.
It almost sounds like a Max with the Exhaust complete removed.

Last edited:
That's definitely one of the Meanest Sounding VMaxes I have ever heard.
It almost sounds like a Max with the Exhaust complete remoed.

:clapping:

I fired my bike up before I put on the muffler. I was shocked yet splendidly surprised that it's actually a little quieter than a open header.

:clapping:

I fired my bike up before I put on the muffler. I was shocked yet splendidly surprised that it's actually a little quieter than a open header.

By what, .5 db?

Really need to get that thing on a dyno and find out how much HP (if any) you have to give up for that sound.

Given up HP? I don't think KJ is running stock air or jetting. The better they breathe the more ponies and bark. Some back pressure is needed but probably gets that from the headers and splitter/collector

Very cool. I like how compact they are. Can you post up or pm some links and specs on the system you have.

Given up HP? I don't think KJ is running stock air or jetting. The better they breathe the more ponies and bark. Some back pressure is needed but probably gets that from the headers and splitter/collector

I agree wholeheartedly.......the Max does not like backpressure.
I run the kerker 4-2-1, and the difference is definately noticable on how much better they run opened up:
--street baffle...ran like a woos...almost the same as stock
--comp...ran like a bat out of hell but too darn load
--I now run the comp baffle with the street end cap...about half the noise and almost the same power.

By what, .5 db?

Really need to get that thing on a dyno and find out how much HP (if any) you have to give up for that sound.

I'm not giving up anything:clapping:. I don't see it flowing much better than a kerker w/2.5" comp baffle. Talking to some riders in England, they were getting about 3hp gain on the dyno before tuning. I don't think I'll notice +/- 3hp. A flip of a toggle switch will take care of that :)

The old muffler was a Kerker, carbon fiber can with their high-flow 2" baffle.
The way I set up the IXIL is that it goes from the Kerker pipe, reduces to a 2" then Y's off to 2- 1.5" mufflers. So there is some back pressure, but nice flow.
The workmanship on this thing is incredible. I can see where the price comes from. It needs to sit in a art museum. I don't know who did the welding, but he needs a pay raise.

I do have to tune the jet kit (Morley's Muscle) now, the richness a little more apparent. I was running a little rich with the old muffler. I tweaked the a/f screws a little and that made a big difference already, come spring I'll have it dialed in.

Very cool. I like how compact they are. Can you post up or pm some links and specs on the system you have.

It is a Kerker 4-2-1 system, I bought from Morley's Muscle.
A 2.25" to 2" exhaust pipe reducer (I had the ends stretched, open a little more for a snug fit)
IXIL dual hyperlow for a ZX600R from the UK. But, I found that Indysuperbikes has them on sale for a little less and a lot less for shipping.

UPDATE:
I forgot to mention I changed the order, The IXIL Dual Hyperlow is for the ZX600R

Last edited:
Sounds killer. Are they street legal?

They are here. Alaska doesn't have a state ordinance when it comes to motorcycle exhausts. The city I live in doesn't have one either. :clapping:
The LAF's I had on my chopper were louder :th_12:.

kj3y.jpg

Well, it is hard to tell from a video but they sound like they would be ear splitting! There is no denying the coolness feature, that is for sure.

Man those look nice and they would show off my rear wheel very well. Thanks for posting the link I've just added those to the top my list of things to get:eusa_dance:

Well, it is hard to tell from a video but they sound like they would be ear splitting! There is no denying the coolness feature, that is for sure.

Surprisingly they're not. Its not the quietest thing out there, but not the loudest either. Its not bad to be around cause it doesn't have a high pitch to it, like some of the UFO's have. So your not getting that eardrum pounding snap pop and crackle. Just a nice low rumble and a growl when you twist the loud lever.

It sounds totally different on inline 4's, twins and, IMO, down right gets weird sounding on 125's and 250's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd9ksP9-dKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAnA733rR0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnpYONfvxlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ZvSJqoft0

KJ, what size is the pipe on the inlet? 2"? Also, I can't tell from the pics or vids, but how is it connected to the header system? Clamp or weld? Last, would it be possible to remove the IXIL name plate on the side?

KJ, what size is the pipe on the inlet? 2"?

2"

Also, I can't tell from the pics or vids, but how is it connected to the header system?

Via a 2-1/4" to 2" exhaust pipe reducer, with a clamp on the big end. The 2" side was stretched a little to be a tight compression fit on the mufflers.

would it be possible to remove the IXIL name plate on the side?

You can drill the rivets and pull the name plate, but it would leave you two holes.

So did you remove the bracket that normally stabilizes the can? Is going with a compression joint going to be enough to keep the muffler from moving around and not coming loose?

Back