Pick Up Coil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mista_max

Reaction score
Is there a way to test pick up coils. While changing the stator cover gasket I noticed the pick up coils and cables were soaked in oil. Was wondering if this may affect their function.

Max

Not wishing to sound sarcastic (but I will, I know) but if the motor runs they are OK and if it doesn't they may not be.

Failing that the measure the resistance of the coils which should be between 94 & 126 ohms for the twin pick-up and between 81 to 121 ohms on the single (@ 20 C)

Lol . the resisitance reading is what i was looking for since i didin't seem to find it in the manual. Tks

I believe that if you ohm test the 2 wires and get an open circuit it is bad and if the circuit is not open it is good

Looks like you have early model. Find 5 wire plug on left side....usually behind side cover or near battery. Use black as your ground and test other four wire resistances. It should be around 110 Ohms at 68*F.

Tks my VMAX is an 87. I was wondering also if it normal to have all this oil on the stator , pickups and related cables ?

I thought I would hi-jack this recent (but) dead thread as I have a problem with the pick ups coils I think, and some of the info has been used here already.

I have no spark on both rear cylinders. :bang head:

I have checked my coils on another max and the work fine (primary and secondary resistances also checked to be within the tolerances).

When I check resistance from the pickup coils (each termainal checked against the orange wire (as per Haynes manual) I get 123 ohm on one and 250 ohm on the others. This is higher than the expected range, but does this mean it's dead. I Would have thought it would still function?

I have trimmed my HT leads, and all is well on them. Maybe it's the CDI?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

ps. if admins would prefer me to start a new thread, can you go ahead and move my post? Thanks.

SvenDGAF The sidestand relay on the early models can cause some really weird problems, unplug the sidestand relay and see if that makes a difference.

SvenDGAF The sidestand relay on the early models can cause some really weird problems, unplug the sidestand relay and see if that makes a difference.

Just removed the relay and no change. Even checked the sidestand switch connection, and it is functioning as it should.

No spark at back two cylinders still. I do get one spark when killing the engine occasionally, but I'm assuming that is some kind of static discharging.

Just removed the relay and no change. Even checked the sidestand switch connection, and it is functioning as it should.

No spark at back two cylinders still. I do get one spark when killing the engine occasionally, but I'm assuming that is some kind of static discharging.

mate you should get together with the other guy in London who's having so much trouble with his stumble around 4-4.5k rpm, maybe you guys can help each other out: I think your TCI box is playing up, and there's something weird going on with his carbs. If you guys swap the relevant parts, you can find the problems for sure and get it fixed! I.e. you try his TCI, he tries your carbs - if it cures the probs then you know what to do :punk:

mate you should get together with the other guy in London who's having so much trouble with his stumble around 4-4.5k rpm, maybe you guys can help each other out: I think your TCI box is playing up, and there's something weird going on with his carbs. If you guys swap the relevant parts, you can find the problems for sure and get it fixed! I.e. you try his TCI, he tries your carbs - if it cures the probs then you know what to do :punk:

There are four of us good mates here all with maxes so I have no shortage of parts to swap. Looks like I'd better try that next then :confused2:

Can you locate the connector that goes from the harness to the pickup coils?

It is a 6 pin connector with one pin unused, 2x3 contact arrangement. I helped a guy with his Venture last summer that had similar problems. Turned out it was this connector. Very dirty and making poor contact. Cable shown in attached manual cut. #17

When checking the pickup coils at this connector, the black wire is common to all 4 coils. It is the one under the open pin slot. Each of the other 4 contacts should read 110 ohms +/- 10& @ 68F when checked to the common wire. All 5 of the wires when checked to the bikes ground should read infinite ohms (no connection).

Gary

Attachments

• pickup coil lead.jpg
    pickup coil lead.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 136
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 133
Can you locate the connector that goes from the harness to the pickup coils?

It is a 6 pin connector with one pin unused, 2x3 contact arrangement. I helped a guy with his Venture last summer that had similar problems. Turned out it was this connector. Very dirty and making poor contact. Cable shown in attached manual cut. #17

When checking the pickup coils at this connector, the black wire is common to all 4 coils. It is the one under the open pin slot. Each of the other 4 contacts should read 110 ohms +/- 10& @ 68F when checked to the common wire. All 5 of the wires when checked to the bikes ground should read infinite ohms (no connection).

Gary

As previously mentioned, I have checked using orange as the reference wire (as per haynes manual) and found 123 ohm on one and 250ohm on the others. This is obviously high, but do you think this is too high for it to function. When I get a chance tomorrow i'll check each against ground too.

Am I right in assuming the TCI unit would have been different on the older models (which have two sets of pickup coils)?

If so, when did they change, and what would happen if I tried a newer type TCI in my 1985 model?

Back