This bike eats rear tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc1go

Reaction score
Looking at a new rear tire to get me through the new riding season. Running Metzler Marathon now, but for way less money, I found the Shinko 011 Verge. Any thoughts?

Well, the Verge is a radial tire not available in our stock rear wheel size. You could try the Tourmaster 230. They are well-liked by many guys on here. They also will not last longer than a metzeler...

He's got a gen 2 and they make a verge in that size. I run one on my gen 1 with a Kosman wheel and I love it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

He's got a gen 2 and they make a verge in that size. I run one on my gen 1 with a Kosman wheel and I love it.

That's what I'm looking to hear, bye bye Metzeler, Hello Shinko.

I can only say the Shinko's I ve run on numerous bikes didn't last as long as other tires. BUT they were way better at traction. And traction to me is worth replacing tires more often with the way I ride.

My Gen 1 Vmax was two rear tires a year roughly. My ZX14 looks to be 4-5 rear tires a year. I am not sure if I am going to go with a Shinko on this one. I have a Shinko stealth front and a hook up rear, but I might try and get a Stealth for the rear and see what happens.

My turbo busa ate up rear tires. The Shinko rear only lasted around 800 miles. But I guess that is what you get with a turbo bike lol!

I wouldnt hesitate to run a Shinko and I haven't tried a verge, but with the power your putting down, I would think the stickier tire is what you would want.

How long did your tire last?

Todd

My verge lasted me approximately 4000-5000 miles and I raced 5 times with lots of passes (10-14 per outing) and I still did one hell of a burnout to finish it off. I've noticed that when the tire is cold the traction is fair but once you get a little heat into it (doesn't take much) it's sticky as hell and for a Shinko they do last awhile.

I would figure that 4000-5000 miles on your Vmax would probably be 2500-3000 miles on my ZX14.

My last Pilots 2's I ran into the ground unsafely for 4300 miles. They were pretty much done at 3750 and that was almost ALL highway riding. Very little fun riding on them.

Todd

Is the Verge more rounded like the Stealth and the hook up, or does it have a profile?

Todd

Rounded like the stealth, the hook up has a flatter tread pattern for more contact patch but handles like shit.

The Advance 005 is what I was thinking. $108 is what I saw for a 190-50-17. 200-50-17's are only $10 more. I hear some people say they handle like shit and others say they handle good ( 200 series ). For $120 I ll try a 200 maybe. I ve thrown away worse amounts for stupid things.

Todd

Right now, I'm seeing the Shinko Verge in the 200 size for around 135.00 shipped, 4500-5000 miles sounds like a good value to me.

do not use an advance, i got 1200 miles out of mine! way too soft for our applications

edit: rear. i did like the 130/70 front though on a 3.5" rim.

Who makes the Advance 005?

The Verge is more recent to the market. It has very good traction when compared to everything else I've had on the bike. There isn't really a tire out there that won't light up when you jump on it, especially after you put a pipe on the bike. I found the Verge to be the best so far. And I can get a set front and rear, for a little over $200. Doesn't break the bank to put a new set on every spring. A bargain really. The rear tire alone I was using before that was over $200.

I'm riding a G1 so not going to work the rear tire like the G2 guys will. I have put almost 6k miles on my Verge Rear: 200/55 18 Front: 120/70 18 which I'm sure I'll get at least 1/2 a season more out of them. I was considering getting the Metzler to try next but you cannot beat the Shinko's for the price you pay.

With tires like the advance, they are sport tires, not cruiser tires that will mostly see straight line riding. Hence the reason they wear fast.

The Shinko Stealth is a more rounded tire for sport bikes and it offers more straight line traction, but at the sacrifice of less miles. Plus they don't corner as well since they are more rounded.

The pilot 3's or the super sports offer good handling and dual compounds for more straight up cruising. But they are expensive. $250 ish for a super sport rear. p3's are around 180 a tire.

The Shinko's are hard to beat, especially for a Vmax that wont see high speeds like a sport bike. But the low end torque is what makes they dissipate faster. If you launch the bike or come out of corners and get on the throttle in a Gen 2 your going to wear tires down fast. Even just roll ons with full throttle you'll wear a tire fast. The ZX is like that, it just chews up tires because of torque. My turbo bike just spun tires all the time, so you expected to eat a tire, but I can imagine that even when it wasn't spinning it was putting alot of wear and tear on it. Hard not to when your making 140 ish ft lbs of torque :).

But the guys with Gen 2's would be better to help you with longevity tires. I know it will be hard for me to get over 3500 miles on a rear tire. Not once it starts to get nice out !

Todd

I seldom get over 2K out of any rear tire on either my 85 or 09 bikes regardless of brand. I may be doing something wrong.

Back