Pods? New air box?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImCannibal

Reaction score
The boots on my air box are worn out and don't like to stay on my carbs no matter what kind of black magic I try, I replaced the clamps, I tried wrapping the outer lips of the carbs in electrical tape to give it more surface area, nothing works.... Would it be worth while to switch to pods and re-tune my carbs or is it more work than gain? Should I just get a new air box?

You can get a good used airbox on here for 30-50 bucks. You can also buy new boots from Sean (I don't know how much they are....but I think 15 to 20 bucks apiece). The Pods which are for stage 7....normally run a couple hundred bucks. Ive been told that unless you run air correctors, and possibly different jetting, you shouldn't run pods.

So going with a setup like this would be no good?

Attachments

• tmp_carbs airfil vmax 432781905.jpg
    tmp_carbs airfil vmax 432781905.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 64
Well you would have to run air correctors, and and rejet as well. That in its self isnt that expensive, nor that hard. I guess it comes down to what you wanna do.

Changing jets is pretty easy (takes about an hr), and main jets are about 15 bucks for all 4. If you wanted to go with the pods, you would have to run something similar to a stage 7.

Unless you have a full exhaust I wouldn't bother with pods. It would be cheaper and easier to buy boots for your airbox. They only take a few mins to install

I have the stage 7 and pods to me its a shit load easier to work on..SHOTGUN ,P SHOOTER IF NEEDED . Well worth it to me ..
4 pods are easier to remove than one airbox lid?:ummm:

After 28 years, I finally had to break down and buy new boots from Sean last year. Best $80 I've spent on my 85 in years.

If you like i have a brand new set of dynojet stage 7 jets for sale cheap.

Does that include air correctors? I'm gonna try giving Sean a call tomorrow and see what sort of wizard like knowledge he can give me, I have a friend who has a wholesale hookup for pods and I can get them at his "homie hookup" price with a breather, and from what i hear Sean has killer prices on jets and correctors.

I find the individual filters tons easier to deal with than the airbox. Nothing wrong with my box or boots, the damn thing is just hard to fit at times.
I'll never go back to an airbox.

If you do individual filters don't do those cheapie JC Whitney/Autozone things like in the pictures, get the good ones.

You can run just the correctors a with stage 7 pods and tune from there. After screwing around with mine forever with the whole stage 7 kit I pretty much ended up at stock jetting (leaner than stock on the mains) and using the adjustable needles from the stage 7 kit

I find the individual filters tons easier to deal with than the airbox. Nothing wrong with my box or boots, the damn thing is just hard to fit at times.
I'll never go back to an airbox.

If you do individual filters don't do those cheapie JC Whitney/Autozone things like in the pictures, get the good ones.

But we are talking about which is easier to deal with while performing the shotgun or peashooter routine, neither of which require the box be removed - only 6 easy to reach screws to remove it's lid. Takes only seconds.

with stock exhaust i'd get new boots for the airbox. even with our jet kit we keep the box for more mid and low end power

I ended up replacing my air box boots this year. They went rock hard where they sit on the carbs and I couldn't get them to seal right.

Bought replacements from the stealership and found the air box sits better then it ever did. LOL My dummy tank cover doesn't touch the top of the air box like it used too.

Glad I did it

Does that include air correctors? I'm gonna try giving Sean a call tomorrow and see what sort of wizard like knowledge he can give me, I have a friend who has a wholesale hookup for pods and I can get them at his "homie hookup" price with a breather, and from what i hear Sean has killer prices on jets and correctors.

its exactly this item below, so my answer would be yes.
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4716.pdf

But we are talking about which is easier to deal with while performing the shotgun or peashooter routine, neither of which require the box be removed - only 6 easy to reach screws to remove it's lid. Takes only seconds.

Oh, I missed that. Sorry.

That's not what my question was regarding, but is a decent point.

Back