No spark..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxer-4-Life

Reaction score
I have a 94 and it was running when I put it away for winter. No spark any cylinder even with new plugs. Any suggestions on where to start? All fuses are fine and the bike has a new battery and turns over fast.
thanks

Sounds like corrosion has set in somewhere. Perhaps in the TCI. Perhaps a connector some where else.

Its also known as the ECU. Its the electrical brain of the bike. Timing, electronics, etc are controlled by this.

And so like Jim said....it could just be corrosion around one of the connections.

If the kill switch were malfunctioning, the bike would not be cranking over.

Unfortunately, it is oftimes the connections INSIDE the TCI that corrode with age and begin causing problems.

Ive cleaned almost all of the plug in connectors on the bike, still have no spark in any cylinder. Is the TCI the small box under the clutch side scoop or the large box under the cluster? Can these be opened up and cleaned?

It's the one under the cluster.

Everything inside it has been 'weather proofed', making it a real PITA to do anything with, but one or two guys have reported success over the years. With my luck, I'd fubar the innards much worse by even attempting.

Ill finish cleaning all the connections then if still no spark ill try and pop the ecu open since I'd have to buy one anyway if it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill finish cleaning all the connections then if still no spark ill try and pop the ecu open since I'd have to buy one anyway if it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you certain it is getting a signal from the pickup assembly? They go bad as well.

The CDI box isn't user serviceable. Go down the tbl. shooting chart in the manual. The OEM and Haynes manual is free to download on this site.

If the kill switch were malfunctioning, the bike would not be cranking over.

Unfortunately, it is oftimes the connections INSIDE the TCI that corrode with age and begin causing problems.

I do believe it cranks but doesn't fire as ignition circuit is offline but im not sure as my bike is pretty well modded... the fuel pump won't work that's for sure

My all original OEM 1985 will NOT CRANK if the kill switch is turned off. I can't vouch for other year models.

My all original OEM 1985 will NOT CRANK if the kill switch is turned off. I can't vouch for other year models.

same for my 2k3. If its on 'run' but one of the safety switches are tripped it just lights up the fuel/oil lights and doesn't try to turn.

same for my 2k3. If its on 'run' but one of the safety switches are tripped it just lights up the fuel/oil lights and doesn't try to turn.

thats what mine does when I hit the kill switch. On run though it just keeps turning over with no spark. I will check the pickup assembly and TCI output when I get home.

thats what mine does when I hit the kill switch. On run though it just keeps turning over with no spark. I will check the pickup assembly and TCI output when I get home.

yea if its turning it should be sparking, at least generally speaking. Let me know i can get the ignition out to you asap since it fits in a priority mail box. Could also rush ship it for $$ if you want.

Let's back up just a bit: ARE YOU SURE you have no spark on any cylinder? I mean, have you disconnected each plug wire, put a plug in each, and grounded over to the frame while spinning the starter to look for spark?

I've seen mine exhibit a spark so weak that it would have been hard to see in full on sun light, but still enough to start the bike. Because I'm sitting here pondering your chances of some sort of total fuel delivery error. Can you hear the fuel pump clicking when you first turn the key on? Have you disconnected the fuel line to check for good pressure when the key is first turned on, etc.... Crappy old gas and/or a plugged fuel filter or malfunctioning fuel pump combined with a weak spark (TCI's are notorious for weak sparks) could cause it not to fire at all too.

No spark, tried used and new plugs on each cylinder, grounded to the motor where I normally test them. I turned out my work light to make sure of no spark. I have had plenty of fuel delivery issues with this vmax and rebuilt the carbs last year. (shouldve kept my 88') It is getting fuel and the pump is audible. I bled the bowls out twice.

Latest posts

Back