Bike will not run off choke

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr6874

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a slight problem. I recently bought a '90 V-Max that only had 2800 actual miles. Yes, the bike has been sitting up for extreme periods of time. The bike actually runs good as long as the choke is on. But will shut off the instant you take the choke off, even after ample enough warm up time. I've ran Sea Foam thru it twice already to no avail. I've even tried the pea shooter cleaning method I've read about on here. So can someone please help with this issue. I have no problem rebuilding the carbs, but I have never had any luck in re-syncing them afterwards. I usually have to end up taking them to a shop and then pay an arm & leg just to get them synced. This is my 1st V-Max and it is completely stock. Even down to the WAY TOO QUITE stock exhaust!!! :rofl_200: As soon as I get the running issue straightened out, the exhaust is GONE!!!

So please, any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Richard

Also get a morgan carbtune save your leg from the dealer and become a syncoholic

+1 Syncing these bikes is extremely easy especially with down-draft carbs!! If you end up needing to take them off for a thorough cleaning, there's step-by-step instructions on this forum for that too.

Thanks guys! I'll try the shotgun probably this weekend when I have time and let you know if it helps! I really hope so, I'm ready to see wha this beast really can do!!!

Ok guys, update on the carburetor issue. Still not idling when off choke :mad: I have tried the peashooter and the shotgun cleaning methods. Any other suggestions please. I heard that there is someone on here that will rebuild them if sent to them. Does anyone know about this? Would love to get in touch with them. Have also encountered a couple more issues with the bike. This only happens very intermittently, but sometimes while riding, the bike will seem to shutoff for like a half second or less. It's like you turn the kill switch off and back on very quickly! Has anyone ever ran into this? Thanks in advance for any help guys. Love this site!

You need to get the carbs rebuilt, that was my issue. However, once the carbs are off, replace all the fuel lines and the filter. Then make sure you drain your tank and put a flashlight or inspection camera in there and make sure your tank has no rust. If it does, replace it or treat it. That way, you don't waste the money spent on rebuilding the carbs by sucking in trash from a tank that might be rusted. I've seen used tanks on here for sale for less than $100, great investment and worth it.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Send your carbs to Danny and recondition your ignition switch as well as the switch housings on the bars. You should be good to go.

having the exact same problem to a t, and found out today that I have rust in the tank contaminating everything.

Also
http://damonq.com/red-kote.html
I've got it in the tanks on both bikes right now. Sitting for months since I moved and no signs of rust, peeling, or anything funny. I let mine sit for a few hours before hooking up the shop vac and blowing them out for a while to help the process.

The choke just richens the mixture up. Wouldn't it just mean that it's running to lean? If you are just talking about in the driveway or garage, check the Idle mixture screws, they could be the only problem if they are way out. If you mean that it runs with the choke while riding it then re-set the float levels. The "shotgun" isn't going to change a lean running bike unless the carbs are blocked to start with. If you have no problem rebuilding carbs then you should find that it's much easier to synch them, It takes 5 minutes. there are a few vids around on how to do it.

Matt

Latest posts

Back