Teach me, oh wise ones.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowBox

Reaction score
I bought a set of Progressive springs on Amazon and the box was empty, save the springs themselves. No spacers, preload springs, or washers. Explain the consequences of only taking the old springs out and dropping the new ones in and just cutting the stock spacers please for me gentlemen.

The spring action will be much better VS. stock springs. The stock springs have a progressive rate (but different, of course) than the Progressive springs.
You may have to adjust the preload spacer but I would start with the stock spacer.

I understand that, but I was under the impression the Progressive pieces needed different preload springs and would come with PVC stock I could cut to my preference.

Are you sure yours are the Progressive Suspension springs? Maybe an unscrupulous seller just stuck his stock springs in the box his Progressive Suspension springs came-in. That would also explain the lack of other hardware. It's all in the front end of his bike!:damn angry:

I bought a set of Progressive springs on Amazon and the box was empty, save the springs themselves. No spacers, preload springs, or washers. Explain the consequences of only taking the old springs out and dropping the new ones in and just cutting the stock spacers please for me gentlemen.

I might be wrong...but I thought the other springs...and the pvc pipe were only included if you were lowering the bike. I thought the stock height kit didn't come with them.

The three sets I ordered had all that other stuff in it and it was for stock height bike not lowered. What part number did you get.
But yes can cut your spacers or get some PVC and make them. Getting the instructions from forum member will for sure help you. You will love the ride once the spring set in and soften a bit.

The part number is 11-1129.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414256720127.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414256720127.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
Wrong spring I think anyway. It's a much smaller diameter than the stockers I pulled out. For early forks maybe?

The three sets I ordered had all that other stuff in it and it was for stock height bike not lowered. What part number did you get.
But yes can cut your spacers or get some PVC and make them. Getting the instructions from forum member will for sure help you. You will love the ride once the spring set in and soften a bit.
My stock length Progressive springs absolutely included PVC tubes for preload and washers.
The Progressive Part # for stock length fork springs for 93-07 Vmax is 11-1144.
Instructions and Supplemental info sheet attached below.

Attachments

• 3055_Installation_Guide.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Progressive-Spacer-Length-Suppliment-Vmax-.jpg
    Progressive-Spacer-Length-Suppliment-Vmax-.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42
I just installed progressive springs on my 2001. I got the 11-1144 kit and it came with 2 springs, 2 washers and (get this!) 1 pvc spacer! On the 2001 forks, the new progressive springs are 1/4 inch longer than stock, so I ended up cutting down my original spacers.., one thing to note is that I didn't have any seal issues so I just swapped springs, not the fork oil. The result is much less dive on braking, much better stance when riding two up, but more bouncy from end at around 35 mph, which settles out past 40...I will be doing the full on fork oil change per Sean's YouTube video.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Specs,
Check your steering head bearings, front tire air pressure and make sure your front tire isn't cupping.
My stock length Progressive Suspension fork springs did NOT cause a wobble or bounce at low speeds.
I adjust my steering head bearing every Spring and have never had a wobble except once when my front tire was cupped and worn.
A new front tire fixed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

I did use the PVC spacers cut down to 9 3/8" as stated in the Progressive suspension spacer length suppliment.
But the Notes say the stock spacers may be cut down and used instead of the PVC spacers.
I also used 10 wt. Maxima Racing fork fluid and filled them to 4.8" from the top when compressed (per Sean's Fork Seal Video) instead of the 5.5" stated in the Progressive Instructions.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Progressive-Spacer-Length-Suppliment-Vmax-.jpg
    Progressive-Spacer-Length-Suppliment-Vmax-.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 105
Dman,

Thanks for the info.

The front tire is correct pressure to the owners manual for sure. (I have filled it and checked it several times. Thank you for the tip on the front head bearings. That is not something that I have looked at yet.

By bouncy, I meant just that, no left to right wobble? Just a less smooth ride with some up and down translation into my arms and the rest of the bike. So the ride is not as smooth as other speeds.

My first thought was that the existing fluid is not providing enough damping action at that particular load/frequency.

Thanks for the input! Something new to try.

I ended up changing out fork oil with amsoil synthetic ATF. That helped. Then, I noticed a lot of bounce on a 90F day. The bounce was around 40 mph and went away at higher speeds. I got the same thing a few days later - also a hot day. Somewhere on the forum, I had read that someone had a similar issue and bled the air pressure out of the shock tubes to reduce bounce. I am running progressives with no air pressure.

When I experienced the bounce on the second day, I pulled over and bled the air out of both tubes. Sure enough, there was pressure - even though I had bled them to no pressure during the fluid change.

It's been great ever since.

I run pressure in my 1993+ forks and I have noticeably less front end dive on aggressive braking. No sort of wobble in the 35-40 mph range. Progressive springs, ATF, All-Balls steering head bearings kit. Then again, I run radials, which made a great improvement in the steering and stability of the bike at all speeds encountered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back