Installing OEM backrest?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a guy willing to sell the backrest off of his Vmax. Here's the pic he sent me of it pulled off the bike:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418961666.731173.jpg

Is it me or did he pull too much off of the bike? (Minus the actual pad, which he does have.). I was under the impression that all I'd have to do is unbolt the seat, remove the reflector, and attach the backrest to the grab handle with four bolts.

Here are pics of my grab bar, as-is on the bike. (Ignore the scuffs on the fender--the shipper who delivered the bike to me put a strap over the fender. Dumbass.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418961864.810828.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418961879.901570.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418961890.790505.jpg

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '03 Vmax, '03 DRZ400

The backrest completely replaces the grab bar; they don't connect to each other.

I pulled my backrest off about a year ago, that looks like its all there. You will have to COMPLETELY remove the grab bar, to be replaced with the passenger backrest.

Yep looks like you got it all to me don't forget to watch how your reflector comes apart and put it on the new backrest the same way seemed kind of tricky to me when I did it the first time.

7wkMt_char_13__char_10_eFZh71pjDxODVgld013lDe53w341fsE=__a1

Can anyone tell who makes this? I think this ^^^ may be what he thought he was getting.

It looks like an interesting design.

Thanks, guys. I was hoping the job would be a lot easier but apparently I'll have to budget some time to get it all apart--the seller wants my original grab bar to put back on his bike.

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '03 Vmax, '03 DRZ400

I curse the designer of our backrest every time I install it or take it off. So many bolts, nuts, and having to completely remove/ disconnect the turnsignals. Makes me want to buy the HAC Products backrest every time I do it! The factory backrest does look the best though, IMO.

Also, when installing the OEM backrest, don't tighten the bolts up until it's all assembled- The upper part w/pad is tapered, so the sides need to be able to move a bit to get it together.

I REALLY like the look of my Corbin mini backrest on my 06, and I can carry a 12 easily. Slips off quickly if I want to strap a 24 on.

I didn't end up buying the backrest from the local seller. The pad was in great shape but the plastichrome had tons of tiny little flaws--similar to a window that has been spiderwebbed. I could have sanded and polished it, but quite frankly, I don't have the free time to ride, much less spend hours making a backrest look pretty. Felt kinda bad since he had already pulled it off the bike in anticipation of swapping on my stock grab rail but I just couldn't go through with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back