Gas Can in Tail Pack

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
I'm planning to take some nice Mtn rides this spring and worry about my fuel supply. I have a luggage rack and a nice tail pack that could hold a 1 gallon plastic gas container. I might be able to fit 2 of them in it. I'm trying to think of a reason that this would be a bad idea. I realize it's not ideal solution but the thought of adding 60 miles to my range is pretty tempting. Has anybody else done this ? Let me know what you think.

I was gonna pack a 2 gallon can in my tail bag for a cross country trip. I can't think of a reason not to. Just don't pack a bunch of sandwiches in there... They might not taste so great.

I havent done long trips on my vmax's , not like I have on my ZX. And I worried too about its dismal fuel capacity. But NEVER got stuck. Its just being disciplined and stopping to get gas if your uncomfortable even if you got gas 40 miles ago. My ZX will go 210+ miles on a tank if I ride kinda calm and I thought I can pass gas stations with ease. But realized it only prolonged the anxiety of looking for gas stations. It came back to being disciplined and not trying to "max" out my range if I was in unfamiliar areas.

Todd

I havent done long trips on my vmax's , not like I have on my ZX. And I worried too about its dismal fuel capacity. But NEVER got stuck. Its just being disciplined and stopping to get gas if your uncomfortable even if you got gas 40 miles ago. My ZX will go 210+ miles on a tank if I ride kinda calm and I thought I can pass gas stations with ease. But realized it only prolonged the anxiety of looking for gas stations. It came back to being disciplined and not trying to "max" out my range if I was in unfamiliar areas.

Todd
+1, up here where stations are far and few in-between refueling is a priority. There is one loop I ride that I stop for fuel 25 minutes into the ride, the next stop is close to 60 miles away but ~120 miles is too far for a stock tank. It is a bitch to run out of fuel, once experienced it is one I never want to repeat! I have since installed a 5 gal tank (and required 3" over swingarm) and I have ridden over 180 miles (freeway) on a tankful but normally plan on 160 miles per tankful.

Last edited:
I've packed a Tide detergent bottle full of gas before in a saddle bag, but a proper container is worth the $. I let it sit in my yard for 6 months before trying this. I usually can make it to the next fill up. My bike isn't too bad on gas if I'm off the throttle. So far the extra gas has gotten dumped in stranded rider's tanks. A larger tank would be welcomed, or sure . Tks for the link Brian.

I would love an extra tank..
Question about this tank.
This would really be just an extra gallon or two, that you're riding with, so when that low fuel light comes on, you'll stop and dump in the carried fuel correct? this is not something that has a live fuel line into the existing tank is it?

Correct. Just in case I find myself where I don't know where the nearest gas station is. It's also for the piece of mind so I can enjoy the ride without the fear of running out of gas.

Just carrying an extra gallon or two would be fine.. The reason I asked if it was a live line to the main tank is this: How would you stop gravity from trying to spit gad out the gas cap and tank breather tube.

new powder coat 012.jpg Vmax family 034.jpg Vmax family 035.jpg

Here's pics of a 1.75 gallon tank hidden in a Cortech tail bag on Shala's 09. Notice the 1/4" fuel line sneaking out the left front bottom of the bag and extending downward under the seat? There, the line is fitted in place of the OEM vent tubing. Lift the seat to find it's 1/4" fuel shutoff valve. If both tanks are full, and the bike is left unattended on it's side stand, you only have to shut off the valve, and no gravity will be pushing fuel to possibly leak around the well fitted OEM fuel cap. At least, it's never been a problem yet, and I suspect there's been many times where she had both tanks full, and the valve left open. The only leak we've seen was when she was learning NOT to fill the AUX tank too full, then put the bike on it's side stand. The AUX tank cap does not fit near as snugly as does the OEM cap, apparently.

SANY2414.jpgSANY2419.jpg
A 3 gallon tank will fit in this bag. Fugly IMO, but practical for longer trips when refueling is not an option in the middle of no where, or when all your riding companions have bikes with much longer ranges.

Has anyone thought of making a faux rear seat tank?.. Make one in the same shape of the passenger seat so it wouldn't take away from the look of the bike at all. Make it tough enough to be sat on, if needed. Cover it with a light foam and leather. You might be able to get a gallon in that space.
I mean, what the hell, we already have a faux front tank right?. :)

how about this tank seat, 4L? Not very sit friendly but might do for solo trips.
754e.jpg

Her is one that you could cover and probably sit on for a short run, 8.5L
753b.jpg

Here's something for the G2 crowd, 22L!
754h.jpg
The price?...if you have to ask...

#2 would look better if it was covered like the original.

Has anyone thought of making a faux rear seat tank?.. Make one in the same shape of the passenger seat so it wouldn't take away from the look of the bike at all. Make it tough enough to be sat on, if needed. Cover it with a light foam and leather. You might be able to get a gallon in that space.
I mean, what the hell, we already have a faux front tank right?. :)

My undertheseat tank holds 4 liters. My touring tank holds 6 (gives the bike a range of about 330 kilometers before the fuel light comes on).

Attachments

• street aux. tank.jpg
    street aux. tank.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 57
  • touring aux. tank.jpg
    touring aux. tank.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Storage and backrest.jpg
    Storage and backrest.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 54
Who makes those gas pillion seats? I take it there more than a few $$.

Who makes those gas pillion seats? I take it there more than a few $$.
http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/vmaxkatalog/gesamt_en.html
They have a different website in that you need to find what you want to price and then look at the price sheet below the parts description, here is a link:
http://v-max-f-maerz.de/preise/vk_preisliste_internet.pdf
Ex. the Aluminum 8.5L tank would equate to $803.49
To order parts from them you would need to contact Joe @ Boxenstoppe in Florida: http://boxenstoppdaytona.com/
Once you get over the price, be prepared for a wait as Joe has to order from Germany with their notoriously long shipping times.

Latest posts

Back