Cost of Fixing Second Gear Myself

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHuthALot

Reaction score
Hi All.

I'm looking into buying a vmax and I think I found a good deal. Its a 96' that looks to be in pretty good shape, but second gear is starting to pop. The guy tells me that it works fine, but if you rev it to high in second it pops out. I'm wondering a couple things:
(1) How much I would spend in parts, fluids, etc. if I did the fix it this winter myself and,
(2) How much you all think the bike might be worth, before the fix and after it.

Any input would be appreciated.

I will add the link to the CL add below

Cheers

B

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/5192700891.html

You will have to pull the engine and split the cases. I dont know how much the parts would be...but I would guess in the range of a couple hundred dollars.

Here is a post that outlines what all it takes to pull the engine.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=412577&postcount=7

Most people on this forum say that a Vmax with a 2nd gear issue is only worth about 1000 dollars due to cost and time of fixing it.

What is happening is that if you dont clutch the shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it wears the teeth on the 2nd gear. It doesnt pop out when you rev it too high, it pops out because the teeth on the gear are worn, and it cant handle the power of the engine anymore.....and it pops out.

Thanks Traumahawk.

I have run across that post. Looks like a big job but I think I can handle it. This guy is asking $2300 so I dont think he'll come down to $1000. Maybe I should skip this one. Any Idea what this bike might go for all fixed up?

The average Vmax in good shape usually sells for 3000 to 4000. Some will be priced higher. ...but then they might set a bit.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Make him a deal. Ask him to go to a dealer and ask for a quote for fixing it. He then can break the quote in 2 and he can cut off that amount from the asking price. I would say you would get the bike pretty cheap. You just need to convince him that the repair is too costy for his asking price. Which in fact is if done at a dealer. Tell him that you are mechanically inclined and it would a goo challenge for you to make it running properly again but you cannot handle that asking price which is very high. Just a suggestion. And im assuming that in parts alone Eric might be a little on the low side. Im expecting a higher cost for parts alone. Its always a good time to get good undercut gears (will fix it forever if you dont dragrace it i mean) and if you like it maybe an overdriven 5th for cruising at lower revs.

I just did mine this past winter and I think if you have the space tools and are meticulous as far as bagging parts taking lots of detailed photos for reassembly and pay close attention to details it's doable. you should check out damon,s video as it will give you an idea of what your in for as far as the tranny goes. he does a complete assembly of the engine but it starts out with the tranny. I used the stock gears 2,3,4 & 5 and the cost was a little over $600. (this included gaskets,seals, a fork and shift cam etc.) If you want the undercut gears the price goes up another $500 or so. It's not the gears that wear out so much but the dogs on them and pockets they fit into that wear due to not being engaged properly due to power shifting with no clutch. bent forks and shift cam wear issues. I had more issues getting the engine out due to exhaust never be removed. mine is a first year 85 max.
watch the video and If you're up for it contact damon for advice etc since sean is out of the country. I'm sure there is more advice from the great people on this forum to get you on your way to vboost heaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdx_iH4l90g&list=FLLDQ2asmcahR3_NeoinJeHQ
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28760
good luck, bill

I did my trans swap with Sean at his shop. I took the opportunity to install a full undercut transmission with his overdrive 5th gear in it. You will probably need to replace the shift drum, shift forks, 2nd, and 5th gears. Those parts can add up. That's without having it undercut or anything. You'll need yamabond (we ended up using hondabond), and some cardboard pieces to jam bolts into as templates for when you reinstall stuff. We also checked my valves since the motor was out. PM Damon to see if you can buy his engine video-- it's the one posted above that was uploaded to youtube probably without permission. It will be worth the $20.

There are a bunch of little things that can make the job easier, like dowco green finger wheels for removing gasket material, tons of parts cleaner, and industrial sized baking pans to hold the engine so you don't dump oil all over everything you own. You'll also need access to a press for swapping the current worm gear and shims over to your new shaft. The shims are different for each motor.

I got a quote from a shop in Fort Worth before I decided to go do the work with Sean. They wanted $1500 plus parts.

I would not pay more than $1200 for a bike with a known bad 2nd gear.

Davesax's estimate is closest to what you may expect to have to spend of these postings. I wouldn't spend more than $1K on a bad second gear bike. Getting a shop to do it would probably run $2K all-told. It could be more so don't be surprised. You're probably better off looking for a better shape tranny/bike to buy. A decent bike is probably $2500 or > and normal wear items can add easily another $500-$1000 depending on how fastidious you are about wear items. An example: f & r tires, $350 mounted & could be more; battery, $50-175 depending on if you go for a Li-ion lightweight; brake pads, $80 front $40 rear; fork seals/oil, $50, oil/filter change w/motorcycle synthetic, $75; rebuild a master cyl either clutch or brake, $50; carb work is expensive if you have someone else do it ($400-up depending on what's needed); and that's over $1K for all that, and then some.

Kiss this one goodbye and look for one which isn't so needy.

Before you go tearing the engine apart take the middle gear cover off and look at the "saddle's" that hold the bearing in place it is possible the these got bowed and is allowing the shaft to slide to the left "as your sitting on the bike" and letting the gears misalign and slip, that's not to say the gears are not damaged but if it hasn't gone on too long it may be possible to fix it easily.

maximus speedicus has a nice looking '88 for sale. 60,000 miles but my '95 has over 70,000 and no mechanical issues. His looks well cared for also.

Back