11.5" Progressive's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXXIMUM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put some new 11.5" progressive's on my bike. I didn't really get to ride it more than a couple of miles. I was wondering if one of the experts on handling dynamics could explain how lowering the back will affect how my bike handles. The PO had shortened progressive springs installed up front and I dropped them in the triple tree's a bit less than an inch.

Thank You

Lowering the rear to match the front will get you back closer to the stock geometry, which is pretty neutral.
I personally have the stock length rear shocks with my front end dropped about 3/4" in the triples so it has slightly quicker turn in than the stock setup.
My setup just makes the bike a bit easier to put into a curve/turn than the stock geometry.

I asked because during my short test ride I felt like the rear end was coming around into the turn noticeably faster making the bike turn quicker. Granted it was only a 2/3 mile test ride and mostly me weaving in the road rather than actually tossing it into corners. I'm trying to follow the logic of how lowering the rear affects handling. I must admit I'm not.

I'm no suspension expert but I do have the 11.5"rear shocks and the front is 1" lower internally with progressive springs. I have not dropped them in the clamps. I can attest to the fact that my bike is dramatically quicker and lighter when it comes to steering. I would guess that besides something to do with geometry, it also has to do with simply lowering the center of gravity and having the mass closer to the ground and less distance to move/travel when changing directions.

Matt

Thanks Hellboy, I realize I only rode it a few miles but I thought I was loosing my mind. You described exactly how it felt, lighter and quicker steering by a respectable margin.

If that is the case, then some of the folks with extended swingarms should be able to comment.

Any takers?

I am very curious about this as I am in the process of fitting a longer Venture swingarm and keeping stock shocks. The Venture swingarm is 1.5" longer, so the effect will be to drop the rear end and increase the wheelbase at the same time...

General rule of thumb is longer wheelbase more straight line stability slower turning, shorter wheel base quicker turning less straight line stability and all this is affected by center of gravity of said vehicle, the trick is to find the right balance between the two that's why when you lower your forks in your triple's it helps by lowering center of gravity and shortening the wheelbase, then throw in riding style, tires, rebound and damping of shocks and springs and you can see how suspension setup is a never ending battle with all the variables oh and i forgot that the better your suspension the faster you can ride, the faster you ride the more you need to adjust your suspension, good luck :eek:)

If that is the case, then some of the folks with extended swingarms should be able to comment.

Any takers?

I am very curious about this as I am in the process of fitting a longer Venture swingarm and keeping stock shocks. The Venture swingarm is 1.5" longer, so the effect will be to drop the rear end and increase the wheelbase at the same time...
I have a 3" longer swing arm and using 13" shocks (Progressive 440) but have the lower mount point moved forward about 2.5", if I remember correctly. I also switched from the stock wheels/ bias ply tires setup to 18" wheels/ radial tires. I also removed 1" from the 2" fork lowering kit I had installed to quicken up the steering on the stock setup. When I put the radials on the steering was so much quicker I didn't want the full 2" drop. I really like how it handles and rides very well, a good platform for the way I ride now. It is not a sport bike for handling nor does it ride like a tourer but somewhere in-between, which suits me just fine.
Here are a couple of pictures to show the differences:

IMG_1174.jpg IMG_2081 (8-24-2013 8!27!04 AM).jpg

Edit: Currently I am running std rate springs on the Progressive 440's (set at their stiffest rate) and Progressive Suspensions variable rate springs with the aforementioned 1" lowering kit installed, Ricor Intiminators, and 10 wt. Silkolene fork oil. Also have Sean's adjustable rate fork spring adjusters.

Re: 11.0" progressive rears

just wondering if anyone has used the progressive 11 inch rear shocks and progressive front fork lowering kit. If so,how was the handling ? thanks bob

Re: 11.0" progressive rears

All the time on the 11.5" and 1 or 2" front lowering. We've used as low as 10.5" rear with 2.5" dropped front for the extreme lowering but you will hit in hard corners pretty easily. The 11" is still below what we'd normally suggest but it can easily be done.

So if you went for the 11.5" would you "need" to lower the front end or is it recommended? I'm looking to change from stock to the 444s this summer. I already changed the front from stock to Progressive last year with no lowering kit and noticed one hell of difference in turning and bottoming out. My end result would to be a little less rough on the back side and just a touch more flat footed at the lights. I'm also trying to do a seat upgrade from the no-plug corbin to something with a little more cush in the crotch and back support but keep striking out on ebay and the 4-sale thread

So if you went for the 11.5" would you "need" to lower the front end or is it recommended? I'm looking to change from stock to the 444s this summer. I already changed the front from stock to Progressive last year with no lowering kit and noticed one hell of difference in turning and bottoming out. My end result would to be a little less rough on the back side and just a touch more flat footed at the lights. I'm also trying to do a seat upgrade from the no-plug corbin to something with a little more cush in the crotch and back support but keep striking out on ebay and the 4-sale thread
anybody?

I run 13" 440's in the rear and 1" lowered internally forks and I have bottomed them out pretty hard several times with just me and no extra gear on the bike. I weigh in at 290 so that is part of the reason but I was running over a 100 a couple of times I did bottom out. I like all the ground clearance I can get!

Latest posts

Back