fiberglass cars built in small numbers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a cool site dedicated to a nearly-forgotten sub-genre of the vintage hot rod/sports car. After WW II people took advantage of the use of fiberglass to create many different cars, using chassis they scavenged from wrecking yards, for the most part.

In the back of Hot Rod, Road & Track, Car and Driver, and it's predecessor, Sports Cars Illustrated, you could find small ads for auto body manufacturers like La Dawri ("look, it's a La Dawri!"), Kellison, and Myers. There were many, many others, and that doesn't include the people who decided to make a 'one-off.'

Anyway, if you're into obscure cars like I am, this is a good place to spend some time.

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/

And another: http://www.undiscovered-classics.com/
This seems to be by some of the same people as the first site. I like this speedster belly-tank car, built just after WW II. This is a replica, built after consultation w/the original designer.
DSCN6990-800x600.jpg

Let's go racing! Transporter designed by Dean Moon! Built by Troutman and Barnes, and Norm Holtcamp.

My uncle is good friends with that guy, he has a glasspar that he's been working on for 30 + years. I did the frame modification on it. He has an open invitation to Amelia island show if he ever gets it done

Cool stuff, Medic. Thanks for posting.
Funny that neither site had any info on the Bricklin (fiberglass/acrylic body panels)
Must be considered too mainstream, even though only about 2800 were produced - '74-'76.
Cheers!

Miles, I think they are concentrating on the vintage cars in the 1945-1965 era, but of course, the story of Yugo-importing Malcom Bricklin and his Canadian design/manufacture Bricklin is an interesting one. I've read about the Bricklin, I've seen a few here in FL, which has a fair amount of orphan cars, it must be the weather? Anyway, The Bricklin was 'mass-produced' compared to most of the fiberglass cars. I think the major difference is that the Bricklin was a complete car, and most of the fiberglass cars were designed to use some other car's chassis and running gear. It was a kit car, you used the fiberglass manufacturer's body on your scavenged running gear, and, "with a few simple hand tools, and time," you had your Ferrari-beater. Then again, the early Ferrari 308's were fiberglass for awhile.

One of the dodges that people used to do was to use a car body as a plug for their fiberglass copy. Then they would make knock-offs. They did it with boats, and south Florida was a place where that was a common practice for deep-v sportboats.

Miles, I think they are concentrating on the vintage cars in the 1945-1965 era, but of course, the story of Yugo-importing Malcom Bricklin and his Canadian design/manufacture Bricklin is an interesting one. I've read about the Bricklin, I've seen a few here in FL, which has a fair amount of orphan cars, it must be the weather? Anyway, The Bricklin was 'mass-produced' compared to most of the fiberglass cars. I think the major difference is that the Bricklin was a complete car, and most of the fiberglass cars were designed to use some other car's chassis and running gear. It was a kit car, you used the fiberglass manufacturer's body on your scavenged running gear, and, "with a few simple hand tools, and time," you had your Ferrari-beater. Then again, the early Ferrari 308's were fiberglass for awhile.

One of the dodges that people used to do was to use a car body as a plug for their fiberglass copy. Then they would make knock-offs. They did it with boats, and south Florida was a place where that was a common practice for deep-v sportboats.
I remember some Bricklins with 351 windsor engines and 360cid amc engines also.

Latest posts

Back