replacement gas filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
This one fits into the OEM space, w/a bit of diameter to spare. If you want to have it snug, use a bit of foam or cardboard to shim it.

I was speaking w/my mechanic, and he said that even w/his shop discount, a OEM Yamaha filter for a VMax was $23. I figured I could find something comparable for less $.

I found this one at Auto Zone for under $10. It has the stock 5/16" ends. It was in the boating section.

From Ron Ayres Motorsports:
Filter Assy-gas 1FK-24560-00-00 1FK-24560-10-00
$21.36 retail
$19.22 your price

I am assembling a remote gas canister for my bike, when it's done (trip to the hardware store coming) I'll post some pics. It's using an OEM Briggs & Stratton gas canister that appears to hold a bit under a gallon, and what I'm assembling has a brass 5/16" ball valve shut-off w/hose-barb ends.

Attachments

• VMax gas filter.jpg
    VMax gas filter.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 67
Napa Gold-3011

Auto Zone -#F21124

And lots of others. Yamaha filters are a rip off. most likely made by Fram anyway. At the marina we'd stock a certain number of Yamaha filters because we were a dealer. But, the Fram's were right there on the shelf at a much lower cost. They looked identical.

I like the clear,
Glass, reusable ones for about $10. Old part number was Purolator 806.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arent Napa filters made by WIX or is a that just oil filters? Im good to save a few bucks but still want to make sure im not using a no-name/chinese filter. The first time you have to shotgun it the savings disappear. I regularly use NAPA (WIX) oil filters but have yet to replace a fuel filter on either of my V4s. If the NAPA fuel filters are WIX also that would be a win for around $10.

The inferior quality of Chinese parts doesnt get enough screen time considering how consistently bad they are, but I'm always happy to beat that drum at any opportunity:deadhorse::deadhorse:

has anybody tried using a finer filter, to see if there's a way to stop this carb buildup problem we all have? I was thinking of trying a combination of a 40 micron before the fuel pump, and maybe a 10 micron after the pump, then get my carbs cleaned. Anybody know how fine the stock filter is?

OEM lasts forever.

Attachments

• fuelfilter.jpg
    fuelfilter.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 44
has anybody tried using a finer filter, to see if there's a way to stop this carb buildup problem we all have? I was thinking of trying a combination of a 40 micron before the fuel pump, and maybe a 10 micron after the pump, then get my carbs cleaned. Anybody know how fine the stock filter is?
I don't know how fine they are but you might try running two oem filters in line if you worry about particulate build-up.
I do that on my duramax, actually have 3 filters on that if you count the water separator. It's really expensive to fix injectors on those so the PO of my truck did it up right.
An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Um, preventative maintenance?

Looks like that's served its purpose.

ClickHandler.ashx

OEM lasts forever.

I do that on my duramax, actually have 3 filters on that if you count the water separator. It's really expensive to fix injectors on those so the PO of my truck did it up right.
An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

Be sure to use the fuel additive as well, in the diesel of course lol. We lack the lubricants in our fuel we once had. I did a duramax upper last winter. All aftermarket stuff, all expensive. I'm betting since it was one of our service trucks, that the fuel played a big part in the inject failure.
Service on a regular basis, and preventive maintenance are pluses in my book. Never hurts to change it out and have new. But oem vs aftermarket, depending on what it is for me.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ONLY use OEM fuel filter. I learned my lesson using aftermarket ones.. Just because its new doesnt mean its worthy.

As this thread shows, there are plenty of OEM quality ones that don't cost $27, like Yamaha wants.

I ONLY use OEM fuel filter. I learned my lesson using aftermarket ones.. Just because its new doesnt mean its worthy.

Yeah i own an lb7 duramax and know exactly where yoyre coming from as far as filtration and preventative maintenance.
Mine is an 05 so I think that is the LLY motor. Which can have the same isues with the injectors and fuel rail, it is just easier to get to in the event you have to do the injectors, so I've heard. Great truck so far I love it.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back