Put on new swingarm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
Well, I got some free time and I put on the new braced swingarm.

Bloody hell u-joint was giving me fits, so instead of blowing it up, I took some rest time and called Sean for a bit.

Got it worked out, and with a little bloodshed everything on the reaper is back installed. It's been raining up here for about 20 days and today looks pretty good and tomorrow looks even better so I went out for a ride.

I chose the Chena Ridge run to test it out as thats where I felt the most flexing.

So while enjoying the view of the town and the Tanana river I come up on the long sweeper. I downshifted and cracked the throttle. Upshifting and keeping the power up. The bike was solid as a rock :eusa_dance:.

All and all, I love this thing!:th_love031:

Thanks again for the chit-chat Sean, Its good to take a break and even better when you get some info to boot:clapping:

Hmmm it just hit me. Neil, The spankapotapus in my avatar is the same color as your ride!!

Attachments

• Swingarm1.jpg
    Swingarm1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Swingarm2.jpg
    Swingarm2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 95
  • max1.jpg
    max1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Swingarm3.jpg
    Swingarm3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 137
  • max2.jpg
    max2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 142
LOOKS GOOD ! WAS IT A BITCH ? & DID IT COME WITH BEARINGS ? :punk:

Thanks!

It wasn't too bad, I took my time and it was about a couple of hours. the bitch was getting the driveshaft lined back up to install the final drive. I ended up popping out the driveshaft, putting it in, then installing the driveshaft.

It came with bearings but I put new ones in anyway. hell they were free so I had nothing to loose there.

I like the outcome of the painted final drive and swingarm. The silver always bugged me. Until now I just didn't have the reason to take it apart and paint it.

Looks damn good, KJ! I agree that it looks better all black - too bad, Yamaha didn't do it on all the blacked out model years.

Mike

Black is the way to go. :punk:So, you say that the braced swingarm help a bunch with the flexing? My '85 wobbles like a bitch in the corners. I thought I could brace the swingarm myself and cure most of the problems. From what I read in this thread it will. Thanks

Looks great KJ the black really sets it off nicely on your bike.:clapping:

Did you go 3 in over or the stock length?

I am still trying to figure if I am going to go with the Powedered Chrome Or Black?
I have black wheels also on my 99. Can I see a side shot with the black swingarm and the black wheel when you have time?

Thanks

I went with the stock length. My pipes cover alot of it from the side. Tomorrow, I'll take a pic. I haven't used my camera in a while and the pics I took today pretty much wiped out my battery.

It should be good and charged in the morning.

The reaper is a very nicely detailed ride KJ.
I'm more of bling man myself but the black reaper does look sweet. (bling or black they take a shit load of effort to keep clean) :punk:

Very Nice indeed KJ! Your pictures have convinced me that I like the black swingarm/ pumpkin better than stock silver. I have time to think about it b/c this year it's Mark's exhaust, Sean's jet kit, and r1 brakes front and rear.

mine was a @#$@#$@# to put on. unlike yours, the left side of the brace is longer than the right (they show it on the web site that way) I like yours MUCH better.
-picked up an 18" rim (eightsenough) along with a the braced swingarm (http://www.cycleoneoff.com/Braced_Swing-arms.html), and a Venture final drive. holy sheep shit this was a PITA.

the swing arm states it can be used with the stock exhaust. yah sure- as long as you put them on the bike as a unit. found that out after I put the swing arm on the first time. I had the exhaust off to clean it up. no matter how I tried to move the swing arm- no dice. off comes the swing arm, drive and tire. after trying for 3 hours to get the swing arm, tire, drive AND Q#$%@#$% muffler on I figured out the center stand rest on the muffler was in the way of the brace. after I took the saws all to that, it went together.
the drive came complete with the hub, drive shaft, nuts washers, clutch hub- he sent it all. I thought it was a good idea to keep the drive shaft and drive together. Yah well wouldn't you know the venture drive shaft is longer than the V-Max drive shaft. figured that out right after I dorked up the seal on the middle drive gear. the longer shaft pushed the u-joint into the seal and deformed it. Off comes the sing arm, drive and tire. . . the real pain was I didn't figure that out until the whole thing was back together, so I got to take the entire swing arm apart AGAIN to replace the seal- yippee! my god I wanted to cry.
I found one of the swing arm bearings looked like someone had taken a hammer to it and I now have the torque specks memorized, so I got that goin' for me:bang head:

Redbone-
I got the XJR master cylinder idea from the Outlaw site and picked up the master of eBay. the guy said it was drilled for the mirror. not the one he sent me anyway. I drilled and threaded it to use the left side mirror on. HOLLY MOLLY what a difference!!!!!!!!! both hands, feet and a boat anchor couldn't stop me as well as I can now stop with just two fingers. I am sure I can do a "stopee " with the Max if I tried hard enough now. I have most of the parts to finish the R1 brake upgrade, but don't know it would do much more.

Thanks!

It wasn't too bad, I took my time and it was about a couple of hours. the bitch was getting the driveshaft lined back up to install the final drive. I ended up popping out the driveshaft, putting it in, then installing the driveshaft.

It came with bearings but I put new ones in anyway. hell they were free so I had nothing to loose there.

I like the outcome of the painted final drive and swingarm. The silver always bugged me. Until now I just didn't have the reason to take it apart and paint it.

KJ Very sharp, the black swing arm & final drive really make it.

That silver has always bugged me too, this is a great option.

dan

So I'm not gonna die in a ball of flames from this order of operations....?

Install Swingarm
Install driveshaft inside swingarm
Install final drive

This is how I ended up doing the last one, but I don't want to have it not secured in the final drive for some reason.

That's how I do mine. Sometimes it goes-in easy, sometimes it's a longer process. The last time I did it, it went right-in. Thank God for small favors.

You should be able to confirm the driveshaft is in-place by removing the left-side engine cover insert, and by turning the hex bolt w/a socket. Does the rear wheel turn (bike in-gear of course & on the centerstand, or rear wheel raised off the concrete for you Kerker 4/1 types)? Then the driveshaft is in.

So I'm not gonna die in a ball of flames from this order of operations....?

Install Swingarm
Install driveshaft inside swingarm
Install final drive

This is how I ended up doing the last one, but I don't want to have it not secured in the final drive for some reason.

just put it in gear. if you can turn in n but not in gear then youre good to go

Very nice, can't wait to get stateside to get my swing arm from Sean and start my complete tear down and rebuild. KJ, love that Muriel on your air box cover, very nice work.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Latest posts

Back