Chains in the carbs????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I was at bike night last night and some dude with an '09 Vmax claimed that he also had an '87 sitting at home. He told me that there are chains in the carbs that you can remove and increase your engine by 50cc's.
This sounds kinda ridiculous to me. I'm thinking this guy is full of shit. He said that he's seen it documented online, but didn't know where.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Or is this guy truly a dipshit?

I was at bike night last night and some dude with an '09 Vmax claimed that he also had an '87 sitting at home. He told me that there are chains in the carbs that you can remove and increase your engine by 50cc's.
This sounds kinda ridiculous to me. I'm thinking this guy is full of shit. He said that he's seen it documented online, but didn't know where.

Think I'd give that guy a lot of room if you ever run into him again!!

Did he say anything about lightening up the bike 50 - 60 pounds by removing these chains? Those big carb chains gotta weigh quite a bit I would think!! :ummm:

Just kidding ekozy....I've never heard Maleko mention it, and he'd know!!

Think I'd give that guy a lot of room if you ever run into him again!!

Did he say anything about lightening up the bike 50 - 60 pounds by removing these chains? Those big carb chains gotta weigh quite a bit I would think!! :ummm:

Just kidding ekozy....I've never heard Maleko mention it, and he'd know!!

also, how would changing something in the carbs increase engine displacement?:ummm:

Anything happening in the carbs would not change the displacement of the motor.
Bore and stroke determine displacement, so........?
Bolt on flat slides or a 4 barrel and what happens to the displacement?
Maybe the changes feel like 50cc more, but it's not.
He's a dip shit or he just believes what someone else has told him.
The legend continues................

LOl thats what I had figured. I was trying to walk away from him when he was telling me this. He said "When you take the carbs off, you can see the chains right in plain sight."
When I asked him if he had done it personally, he said "No, but the bike is at the shop and they are going to take care of it for me."

I'm glad that he didn't park anywhere near me last night.
Part of me thinks that he doesn't even deserve to be riding the '09.
Or maybe he was making THAT up too! lol

LOl thats what I had figured. I was trying to walk away from him when he was telling me this. He said "When you take the carbs off, you can see the chains right in plain sight."
When I asked him if he had done it personally, he said "No, but the bike is at the shop and they are going to take care of it for me."

I'm glad that he didn't park anywhere near me last night.
Part of me thinks that he doesn't even deserve to be riding the '09.
Or maybe he was making THAT up too! lol

dude the chains are right next to the flux capacitor.

No, No, No - this guy is completely right, but I heard it was more like increasing it 100cc or so - also heard that a stock Gen1 will flat out out race a Gen2 vmax - especially the 2006 model year and if you put helium in tires, the bike weighs less on a scale.

Sorry, but the guy is a total dipshit.

Miek

I just did my carbs a few nights ago. I decided to leave the chains in. I knew I can get 50 more cc's out of it if I took em out but that is at the expense of fuel economy and making the idle more irratic. I guess lopey would be the word I'm thinking of?

Anyways, I called Sean while I had the rack off the bike, split in two and he kinda talked sense into me saying its not worth it unless I'm trying to turn it into an all out street brawler/drag racer...He then said if I do remove the chains from the carbs I can take out the drive shaft and diff and throw them away. flip the rear wheel over in the swingarm. Exchange the rear disc for a sprocket, Remove the middle gear assembly and bolt in a front sprocket (17T only) from a '91 CR 500, and use the removed carb chains as my final drive chains. The only problem with this setup is that there are 4 chains (1 per carb) and that are a 520 series chain. So you need a large chainbreaker to piece them all together into one that is long enough to drive the rear wheel.

When doing this mod you have to make you own chain adjusters for the S/A. It is preferred to weld a 1/4" thick metal washer to a piece of 3/4" diameter all thread. You will need all this beefy steel to hold you wheel in place from the power your gonna get from this mod.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I could keep going but I need to get back to working here.

I just did my carbs a few nights ago. I decided to leave the chains in. I knew I can get 50 more cc's out of it if I took em out but that is at the expense of fuel economy and making the idle more irratic. I guess lopey would be the word I'm thinking of?

Anyways, I called Sean while I had the rack off the bike, split in two and he kinda talked sense into me saying its not worth it unless I'm trying to turn it into an all out street brawler/drag racer...He then said if I do remove the chains from the carbs I can take out the drive shaft and diff and throw them away. flip the rear wheel over in the swingarm. Exchange the rear disc for a sprocket, Remove the middle gear assembly and bolt in a front sprocket (17T only) from a '91 CR 500, and use the removed carb chains as my final drive chains. The only problem with this setup is that there are 4 chains (1 per carb) and that are a 520 series chain. So you need a large chainbreaker to piece them all together into one that is long enough to drive the rear wheel.

When doing this mod you have to make you own chain adjusters for the S/A. It is preferred to weld a 1/4" thick metal washer to a piece of 3/4" diameter all thread. You will need all this beefy steel to hold you wheel in place from the power your gonna get from this mod.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I could keep going but I need to get back to working here.

Wow.....bored much? LOL

The world is flat, Elvis is alive , moon landing was a hoax and I still have 50cc worth of chains inside my carb.

thats weird,my 86 has belts in mine.are they aftermarket?:ummm:

No, the belts are stock...the 85's & 86's had belts, that's why they were faster. Federal EPA said Yamaha had to detune the v max or no more could come in the US, so they switched to chains in '87.

You can actually pick up 104 cc's by removing those belts!! Do yours still have the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag? Those are real collectors items, very hard to find!! :biglaugh:

Wow....I had no idea that this thread was going to turn into something so hilarious. This is awesome!

I should print this whole thread out in case I see this dude again at bike night....heheheh

an '87 huh?
he's got the only one made!
he might wanna hold onto it....chains n all!
I seriously would never ride with him...sounds like HE might have a few loose chains!

I took apart my carbs and couldn't find any chains?
I thought the previous owner might have already done this mod but then I took off the cam covers and there they were... TWO chains... so I took them out, giving me an extra 50cc?
Now all I have to do is wait for the dilithium crystals to recharge

My carb chains have little Gremlins attached to the ends and I just assumed that was to keep them OUT of the Carbs :confused2:

Latest posts

Back