• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted 1st Gen Alternator Cover Wanted

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barber1303

Reaction score
Looking for a replacement alternator cover. Mishap with the paint stripper left pits in my original '85 alternator cover. Anyone have a spare they're willing to part with? I shouldn't use this one on my '85 restoration project. Thanks for your help!
IMG_1472.JPG

I appreciate the advice...and normally I'd try to strip it and fill the pits with JB weld, but I powder coated this one in my early stages of learning the craft, and I mistakenly thought (hoped) that the powder coat would effectively hide the pits. I was very wrong. Since 2019, the active ingredient in paint stripper, methylene chloride, has been banned, so I have no effective way to strip this thing...except for media blasting, which is a horrible process with powder coating. Rather than several hours of media blasting, I thought it best to just start over with a undamaged original. Hopefully someone can help me out. Or perhaps maybe someone could steer me to a source of paint stripper that actually still works...on powder coat???

Oven at 600 degrees to bake it off.
BUT, as you said it might be easier to start over. Email me at [email protected] but you're looking at $100 plus postage from me which you can likely get cheaper from some of the other guys.

Back