2014 VMAX fuel pump replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical12

Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 VMAX that only has 2600 miles. I rode the bike approx. 30 miles and it ran great. A couple of days later, i took it out for a ride. It was running great, but about 5 miles into the ride the bike suddenly and abruptly just stopped responding to the throttle for a couple of seconds, then was back to normal for a mile or so then, the same thing. When it happens,and then recovers, it surges forward, like it suddenly started receiving fuel again. I'm thinking the fuel pump may be the cause of the problem or( fuel filter if there is one attached at the pump, but I don't see one showing on the diagrahm of the fuel tank). I took the seat off and was going to pull the fuel pump, but there seems to be a cross brace on the frame that is in the way of being able to remove the fuel pump. Does the fuel tank have to be removed to replace the fuel pump?

I just bought a 2014 VMAX that only has 2600 miles. I rode the bike approx. 30 miles and it ran great. A couple of days later, i took it out for a ride. It was running great, but about 5 miles into the ride the bike suddenly and abruptly just stopped responding to the throttle for a couple of seconds, then was back to normal for a mile or so then, the same thing. When it happens,and then recovers, it surges forward, like it suddenly started receiving fuel again. I'm thinking the fuel pump may be the cause of the problem or( fuel filter if there is one attached at the pump, but I don't see one showing on the diagrahm of the fuel tank). I took the seat off and was going to pull the fuel pump, but there seems to be a cross brace on the frame that is in the way of being able to remove the fuel pump. Does the fuel tank have to be removed to replace the fuel pump?
in order to take out the pump the entire rear (incl Tank) has to come off. Suggest you make an easy to do check first, remove the filler cap, 6 nuts M6, drain the fuel (pump it out) and check the pump assembly and fuel filter. See picture attached, I have an extended range aluminum tank but principle is same as OEM plastic tank.

Attachments

• IMG20221031095709.jpg
    IMG20221031095709.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Are you sure it's not something else like the gear indicator/switch going bad and causing a conflict in the ignition? Does your "N" light up correctly?

Only have to loosen rear sub frame pull it back a 1inch or so then the pump module will come out.

Only have to loosen rear sub frame pull it back a 1inch or so then the pump module will come out.
How can you detach the tank from the subrame, so that it doesn't move with the subframe? That sounds like how it should have been designed, but with the tank attached to the subframe, how does the tank stay in place when you loosen and move the subframe?

Are you sure it's not something else like the gear indicator/switch going bad and causing a conflict in the ignition? Does your "N" light up correctly?
I didn't notice any issues with the "N" lighting up correctly. I just feel like it's a fueling issue given the low mileage of the motorcycle. I believe the motorcycle sat for some time without seeing any use allowing the fuel to go bad which may have affected the fuel pump or clogged the fuel strainer. It's hard to believe that Yamaha would put a cross brace in the way of removing it. If this is the case, it turns a 5 minute job of pulling the fuel pump into a job that will take hours to remove.

in order to take out the pump the entire rear (incl Tank) has to come off. Suggest you make an easy to do check first, remove the filler cap, 6 nuts M6, drain the fuel (pump it out) and check the pump assembly and fuel filter. See picture attached, I have an extended range aluminum tank but principle is same as OEM plastic tank.
Good idea, i didn't think of removing the filler cap to be able to see the fuel pump/filter assembly. However, this is a poor design by Yamaha to position a crossbrace in the way of removing the fuel pump. This should be a 5 minute job to remove it. How long did it take you to remove your subframe and put back on after installing your larger tank?

I thought about that, but given that I had ridden the bike for 30 - 40 miles with no issues with the fuel that was in the tank when I bought it, I kind of ruled that out. I topped the fuel off when it showing just under half a tank, with non-ethanol free premium 93 and also added some Star Brite Star Tron fuel treatment to it at that time. I did however overfill the tank as it spilled over the top of the filler neck. It has me wondering if the tank being that full could create and issue like i experienced, by not allowing it to vent properly. Do you think that could create the issue? It definitely felt like there was a fuel flow restriction with the hesitation/surging i experienced. The motorcycle idles perfectly and showed no issues with the first 30-40 miles. It was only a few days later after i overfilled the tank topping it off, did this happen...

if overfilled once could be an issue with the ventilation/overflow prevention valve, easy to check. Ventilation hose is the one running from the filler cap, valve is on the left side just where the hose disappears into the frame, part No 1,2 and 3 on the .pdf. Attention, mine is an EU version, I heard the ventilation valve is different on US or CAN bikes?

Attachments

• IMG20221026093737.jpg
    IMG20221026093737.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Tank_vent_EU.pdf
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
if overfilled once could be an issue with the ventilation/overflow prevention valve, easy to check. Ventilation hose is the one running from the filler cap, valve is on the left side just where the hose disappears into the frame, part No 1,2 and 3 on the .pdf. Attention, mine is an EU version, I heard the ventilation valve is different on US or CAN bikes?
Thanks for the information. I'll check and make sure the valve is clear. I'm in the US and the pictures you provided look just the same as on my bike.

UPDATE: Thanks to all for the responses...I really appreciate it. After reading Mr. Max's post, I decided to drain all fuel from the tank and removed the fuel fill cap assembly to be able to see the fuel pump and put my hand in the tank to clean it. I then put it back to gether and refilled with premium ethanol free gas along with some Sea Foam. I then took it out for a 35 mile ride and it ran great. I think the fuel that was in the tank when i got the bike must have had some water in it that for some reason didn't present a problem until I topped off the tank with fresh fuel. I hope this was the problem. Only time will tell, but it seemed to have taken care of the issue. Still, I'm baffled as to why Yamaha would put a cross brace directly over the top of the fuel pump to make removal so difficult when it could be so simple.

Back