AM Summer Desert Ride - Good and Bad ...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Well, it was bound to happen. The bad caught up with me. But I’ll get to that in a minute. Seems more fitting to start out on a positive note.

The good thing is that it is possible to enjoy, and I mean enjoy, a spirited ride in the low Sonoran desert in the summertime. The trick is you just have to get out early. Really early. And be back before 10 AM.

A buddy and I headed out to Tortilla Flat this morning, he on his ‘01 ZRX, me on the ‘86 Vmax. I’ll cut right to the chase and just say that the road out to TF consists of somewhere between 90 and 95 sharp turns in less than 10 miles. (Smaller curves not included). The Dragon got nothing on this thing. Scenery is phenomenal, just not particularly green. By going early, you beat the heat and most of the traffic. Especially on the return trip.

The bad? I knew this would be coming,and the bad is not really horrible, but my clutch is going away on me. The REALLY bad is that I had it apart right after I bought the bike because the plates were frozen together. A close inspection at the time to me seemed to indicate that everything was fine it should be serviceable for quite a while. Apparently not. Slipped pretty good in fourth and fifth gear a couple of times on the freeway to meet my buddy. Those are the only two times I noticed it. The rest of the morning nary a complaint. But that was my warning. So, I am clutch shopping. Will not be doing the D&D mod. Did that on my 94, and to me it has no place on a street bike. Strip duty maybe, just not for regular use.AD6D6695-3961-47C1-A1E8-7A8EAED3D251.jpeg072925E4-5960-47B4-9547-CBD427E72CF3.jpeg

Looks like an awesome ride!

You should consider the PCW spring if John is still making them. It's the perfect solution IMO.

Extra clamping force, but only a slight increase in lever resistance...... nothing like the DD.

Ok. It’s clutch time. Had another early morning ride this morning. Clocked about 100 miles. Clutch was slipping like a mother early on, but strangely as the machine warms up, like 30+ minutes into the ride, slipping all but stops. However, I’m not gonna wait for it to slip it in every gear all the time. I’m going to be ordering friction plates very, very soon.

Like this weekend.

Looks like an awesome ride!

You should consider the PCW spring if John is still making them. It's the perfect solution IMO.

Extra clamping force, but only a slight increase in lever resistance...... nothing like the DD.

The PCW kit, their heavy-duty diaphragm spring, the clutch-engine case cover gasket, OEM friction discs, & the extra full width friction disc, I recommend, also. Steelies only need scuffing to break the glaze, unless they're blued from over-heating. Call them as they don't have much of an internet presence.

Back