Aux Tank idea

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
So how hard do you guys think this would be to fabricate. I think I could get it done with 6 pieces of sheet metal, plus some donor parts from a stock tank (vent tube, feed line, neck/cap). I'm thinking it could either be suspended from my luggage rack with brackets, or on four arms that replace the turn signal bolts on a donor grab rail that's drilled in the vertical sections to bolt on some other support rails.

I know my paint skills leave a lot to be desired, but it's just an idea. I would probably use the pre-packaged fitting set from tourtank to make the "T" into the main fuel line. The main reason I'm looking at this as an option is so I don't have to give up the passenger seat in case we want to take a trip and not worry about tank range. I'm fairly certain this size would yield at least a gallon of extra capacity and not really destroy the lines of the bike, especially with a tail bag on top.

Attachments

• Tank SR combo.jpg
    Tank SR combo.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 153
If your 'origami' skills are up to it there is probably no reason why it couldn't be mad out of a single sheet and folded.

You could make a dummy out of cardboard first to get the dimensions and shape to cut.

A couple of things (which I'm sure you will have considered):

• Will it be a) permanently be open to the main tank or b) be switched i.e. as a super reserve that is dumped into the main tank when this is near empty.
  • If a) How will you arrange the main tank breather as the auxiliary will be higher than the main and when both tanks are filled fuel would flow out of the mains vent. It would make sense to route the main breather through the aux.
  • Is the main tank cap fuel tight?
  • Would you fill the tanks independently or via the aux? If the latter can the connecting tube be of sufficient diameter to allow a reasonably quick fill?
  • If b) how will you control the flow to the main on the fly?

Attachments

• Pinto gas tank.jpg
    Pinto gas tank.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 96
So maybe I need to just find a way to carry a flat pack gallon can under there or something. I really wanted to use a tour tank, but I lose storage space.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

More auxiliary tank ideas here......

Or you can bolt this to the rear luggage rack.....

ead9_1.jpg

or this to your handle bar.....

ace_13_aux_han_fue_tan_0.6_gal_whi.jpg

It would be nice if someone could just make an aux tank like the pic but out of plastic. Rotationally molded plastic. There is a place only a couple hours from here that does that stuff. However I do not have time to do such a project, hopefully someone will take on the challenge1

G

I will have to check with Jfaegins http://vmaxforum.net/member.php?u=227 He and his wife have aux tanks on their Gen 2's. The look like a plain tour pack that is on the passenger seat, until you notice the tube running from it to the tank.

I dont know about the "in your face, out in the open, plastic tanks". I wonder they are DOT compliant (which they probably are) but would the Trooper pulling you over KNOW that they are DOT compliant?

Let me know how this one works out for you.

I have an idea for how the fittings should go. I think this may be a "pull-over-and-transfer" setup, though. I don't really want to deal with adding a fitting to one of my stock tanks. I don't even know how I'd make that work yet. Since our vent tube is so tiny and in a different location than the gen 2, I think the vent would have to be drilled out completely to the OD of that little pipe in order to plumb the aux source into the main tank. I'm also not certain if that little tank has a vented cap or not.

I think I would be plugging the vent line into the aux source for long trips and leaving it down under the bike for shorter trips. Possibly just having a complete extra vent line sitting there for normal days and a whole set of fittings with shut-off valve for touring mode.

We'll see what I can come up with once everything's running right.

Posted with my thumbs.

Back