Brake upgrades

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It frustrates me when words like perfect or must have are used. This bike is not inadequate but like all bikes out there, can be improved upon by dumping money into them. If those that want a bike to handle like a sport bike, why don't they just buy a used one for a song and be done with it. Those that want to spend their money on a Max because others do it, hey, more power to them. I'm just stating facts here. What is good for one guy is not necessarily needed by another, depending on funds, riding style and the need to belong. I've yet to see any evidence that compares the two lines and if that small amount of difference is worth the $$$. I'm not hooked on mods like most and want to see the benefit before I buy something. Many sink so much money into their present ride (which is their business) that when the new Max or a similar bike appears, they'd like to have it but have no money. Any bike you buy today has better upgrades than the Max, no matter how much money you can sink into it. If you have noticed, I'm dealing with information and not hear say or seat of the pants feeling. You can go with what suits you but there just might be some that want to know the hows or whys without just following blindly. If you don't learn anything, you have no way of making an intelligent decision on your own, and doing this is also not a must. As was stated earlier that these brake upgrades are a matter of life or death. What kind of bull sh-t is that? The only thing that will save your life is that computer between your ears that decides what's safe and what's over the top.

Last edited:
mikemax04 said:
It frustrates me when words like perfect or must have are used. This bike is not inadequate but like all bikes out there, can be improved upon by dumping money into them. If those that want a bike to handle like a sport bike, why don't they just buy a used one for a song and be done with it. Those that want to spend their money on a Max because others do it, hey, more power to them. I'm just stating facts here. What is good for one guy is not necessarily needed by another, depending on funds, riding style and the need to belong. I've yet to see any evidence that compares the two lines and if that small amount of difference is worth the $$$. I'm not hooked on mods like most and want to see the benefit before I buy something. Many sink so much money into their present ride (which is their business) that when the new Max or a similar bike appears, they'd like to have it but have no money. Any bike you buy today has better upgrades than the Max, no matter how much money you can sink into it. If you have noticed, I'm dealing with information and not hear say or seat of the pants feeling. You can go with what suits you but there just might be some that want to know the hows or whys without just following blindly. If you don't learn anything, you have no way of making an intelligent decision on your own, and doing this is also not a must. As was stated earlier that these brake upgrades are a matter of life or death. What kind of bull sh-t is that? The only thing that will save your life is that computer between your ears that decides what's safe and what's over the top.
Mike, you have to agree that the pre 93 ( I think) Vmaxs are grossly underbraked with the single piston caliper and small rotor. That isn't just my opinion, read the articles in bike magazines that reviewed the earlier models and they all said the same, not enough braking power for the weight and power of the bike. So any little brake mod on the earlier models is an improvement. The braking got better when they went to a bigger rotor and a 2 or 4 pot (can't remember) caliper.

Buster Hymen said:
Mike, you have to agree that the pre 93 ( I think) Vmaxs are grossly underbraked with the single piston caliper and small rotor. That isn't just my opinion, read the articles in bike magazines that reviewed the earlier models and they all said the same, not enough braking power for the weight and power of the bike. So any little brake mod on the earlier models is an improvement. The braking got better when they went to a bigger rotor and a 2 or 4 pot (can't remember) caliper.
Buster you know more about the earlier model than I do and I never disputed it's need to upgrade. I have not seen any independent study where they compare the two lines and the reason is that such a study would show no great improvement. Those that have switched to SS and have found a big improvement, no doubt replaced lines that needed replacement in the first place. I keep running into this "it's the greatest" OR it's "crap" from an unqualified source that dabs around who knows where with little to no experience or learning in the field he proclaims to be an expert in. Hey, this is a free country last time I looked and if some want to follow blindly without knowing what or why, great. I have noticed that some are interested in making decisions on their own and want to have some knowledge to go by. For those that are interested, there is a limit to everything. Wet roads need to be considered where much less effort is desired. Ideally, you want to have just enough brake in a dry pavement situation to keep the front tire from locking up. Fact, a tire that breaks loose and slides has less resistance with the pavement than one that's before that breaking-loose point. I keep hearing about this two finger feel. In an emergency, no one is going to think about how many fingers to use to stop his bike and having too much braking power is worse than not quite enough.

On the newer upgraded Max, if you can't lock up your brakes intentionally, you're either a girl or have a problem with the system. Bling is another altogether different animal that's called a luxury. I still think there are mods more beneficial for less money than the lines that are in good shape and are being replaced. There is a big difference between can do and must do. One guy on the Yahoo list was bragging about the rear shocks he bought for $1200 for his Max. Some pay thousands of $ on eBay for burnt toast that looks like Mary or Christ. It's their money. If you work for it, get something worthwhile for it.

Wow that was interesting reading... when I was done reading it the first time, I had to go back and read it again. I wanted to see who started the poo fight. Ya can't tell us that it wasn't - however, I do see both sides ( for sure ). Being a newbie, with a Max and the forum. I would have to say the Max has washie stock brakes. There was (is) a thread about what mods should be done first.
I said the brakes ! I rode my Max of the first time towards late summer. Now the fluid is old - very discolored. The brakes felt weak for such a heavy bike, compared to the brakes on my crotchrocket that I had a while back. Many have said it too about its brakes.
Now how far do you go with that ? Depends on the money and time and the payoff. Do I have the money for all that ? I hate to say it but NO, however, I do have the time, and the know-how to it myself. Will I do all that to just to find out the payoff. I guess time will tell. One step at a time, until I'm satisfied. OR I'll do all that and say to myself - I can't do anymore. O'well. I knew my limits before I did all that, I hope now that after the money has been spent, I still do. If not I'm better off the sell the bike and buy a LesPaul and join a rock band. - That would cool too.

If you going to push the limits, your better off spending the extra money - because if its too late, well that goes without saying.

BUT MAYBE YOU CAN : Find someone who has already done the mod(s) to let you ride his bike and "feel it in your pants" and then decide.

And guys - I didn't mean for you to get on his bike and grab yourself....

All kidding aside - you all had valid points for sure...and in the end were all going to do what the wife let's us do anyways. Don't tell me any different, that's why its important not to tell her everything about what it is that your doing. If you do - lie about it. Most women have no idea anyways.
If ya don't believe me read on !

A buddy and I went out to the rippers for "A" beer. I ended up spending ...ya know. Well when the wife asked me where all the money went, I told her I had to fill up on "halogen fluid and had to pick up a new flux capacitor that had went in the car" Her reply, "So what did that cost" I wasn't sure she would fall for it - she did.

Last edited:
I went overboard on my 86. The stock brakes sucked, so when the factory disks warped 11 yrs ago, I went to Galfer disks, SS lines, Harrison Big 6's.
Feel and control are amazing.Truly two finger braking. Every bit as good as the Gixxer brakes on my Zed.

Attachments

• 6pot1.jpg
    6pot1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 50
vmx12s said:
I went overboard on my 86. The stock brakes sucked, so when the factory disks warped 11 yrs ago, I went to Galfer disks, SS lines, Harrison Big 6's.
Feel and control are amazing.Truly two finger braking. Every bit as good as the Gixxer brakes on my Zed.

Those rotors look just like my Braking rotors.

I know this post is a little old but... at 1000psi in those lines it is good to know that - for the right price you can put on SS lines and feel comfortable knowing you have less of a chance of having a line damaged resulting in a brake failure than a somewhat unprotected rubber line.

Id rather spend a few bucks, just for the safety factor alone. I've been told that you do have a better feel, which is good too. Plus if they look better, thats just a bonus. Must mod - I'm not sure, but I won't know till after its done.

Latest posts

Back