Carburetor Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa_VMAX177

Reaction score
Hi. I recently installed the Morley's Muscle Kit and am having some problems. The kit itself is not the problem, but I am having some trouble tuning the bike itself. The kit that was in it when I bought the bike was too rich, so I bought the Muscle Kit just so I knew what was in it. Now, the bike runs okay but the carbs wont stay synced, it has a bog under WOT and I don't feel the VBoost anymore. I know it isn't lean because the plugs have nice color and there is no popping on deceleration or acceleration. I am running 155 Mikuni mains, Morley's needles, Morley's springs, and Morley's air correctors. the idle screws are 3 turns out and the needles are on the 4th position. I also have the PCV hose ran to the oil fill cap and have his air filter installed and sealed. I have a full VooDoo exhaust 4-2. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hi. I recently installed the Morley's Muscle Kit and am having some problems. The kit itself is not the problem, but I am having some trouble tuning the bike itself. The kit that was in it when I bought the bike was too rich, so I bought the Muscle Kit just so I knew what was in it. Now, the bike runs okay but the carbs wont stay synced, it has a bog under WOT and I don't feel the VBoost anymore. I know it isn't lean because the plugs have nice color and there is no popping on deceleration or acceleration. I am running 155 Mikuni mains, Morley's needles, Morley's springs, and Morley's air correctors. the idle screws are 3 turns out and the needles are on the 4th position. I also have the PCV hose ran to the oil fill cap and have his air filter installed and sealed. I have a full VooDoo exhaust 4-2. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Needles 2nd position.

Here's my thoughts on the Morely's set up. Idles and runs strong and smooth throughout the rpm range. No problem syncing. No problem running with or past other 1200's. Vboost functional and working as it should although the hit maybe less noticable as this setup favors low to midrange power. Never tried any other carb set up since he did mine 13+ yrs. ago, dont need to. Trust the process.
I did pull the rack a few years back and sent to Dannymax for a carb cleaning just because it wasnt done in a decade not because of poor running. Of course they came back looking and running like new. đź‘Ť

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819_071013_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_071013_Gallery.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1
That's great you have a life-long friend and you both share a love of something, and better yet that it's motorcycling, and with a focus on the VMax.

My buddy I attend Bike Week with, you might say is a 'glutton for punishment.' He has a 43 yr. old Shovelhead, a Low Rider he bought new in Palm Beach County. That's his bike when we've attended Bike Week nearly that long. He also owns two Ironhead Sportsters he's been collecting parts for, it seems like forever. The other day, I called him and said, you know, we're not getting any younger, it's time to build one or the other, so you can use it before you're unable to ride!" He agreed, I keep telling him, "place a crate by the door from the garage to the house, and every time you pass, throw another engine piece in there!"

Woody, I hope Darren and you have many years together enjoying your bikes.

Back