Coolant Leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramalama

Reaction score
So I had to take a 45 min trip down the interstate today and when I got where I was going I noticed I had some white crap all over the front of the water pump cover. It almost looked like I had thrown liquid wax up off the road somewhere. This is the second time I have seen this now. The first time I thought I had thrown something up off the road so I made a quick inspection and wiped it off. After seeing the same thing again I am pretty sure I have a leak. What I think is I am leaking coolant from the joint in the elbow that is closest to the water pump and this white stuff is what coolant looks like after it has been baked onto the cover. Anyone ever had this happen to them?

So I had to take a 45 min trip down the interstate today and when I got where I was going I noticed I had some white crap all over the front of the water pump cover. It almost looked like I had thrown liquid wax up off the road somewhere. This is the second time I have seen this now. The first time I thought I had thrown something up off the road so I made a quick inspection and wiped it off. After seeing the same thing again I am pretty sure I have a leak. What I think is I am leaking coolant from the joint in the elbow that is closest to the water pump and this white stuff is what coolant looks like after it has been baked onto the cover. Anyone ever had this happen to them?

There is a weep hole in the bottom of the waterpump, when the seals in the pump go bad coolant can get out there also. It'd be a good idea to rebuild the pump and replace the o-rings at either end of the plastic elbow, if you're sure that's where it's coming from.

There is a weep hole in the bottom of the waterpump, when the seals in the pump go bad coolant can get out there also. It'd be a good idea to rebuild the pump and replace the o-rings at either end of the plastic elbow, if you're sure that's where it's coming from.

I'm pretty sure it's the joint at the elbow and not the weep hole, but no matter what, I would probably replace any soft parts in the pump and anything else that may look suspect while I have it apart.

I notice a similar issue a few months back at the water pump weep hole, not the elbow area. It was so small I would probably loose once once every 200 miles. Some folks on the forum said this has happen before and went away depending on weather climates.

Recommendation to consider:

Keep a close eye on the coolant reservoir to check how the level is being depleted after a 30 - 50 mile run while watching the temp gauge for any over heat issues.

If it continues to show signs of a continue leakage reducing the coolant level; may need to consider replacing the "O" rings in the elbow areas for a possible quick fix first.

Then expedite if this was effective or not and go from there...

Back