Dash and horn and turn signals died

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Last week on the way home from a semi long ride I started losing accessories. First that I noticed to go was the horn. Than the turn signals. Ok I thought it is the left side handlebar controls. Today I lost the dash including tach and temp gauge. Any useful suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bud

First question, do you have a wiring diagram for your model?
Second, do you have a multi-meter or at least a test light?
No? Go and get them.
First make and break the connectors from the handlebars to the loom.
Next check is to see if you have power going to the non-functioning units. If there is (and I suspect there will be) then the issue will be in the earth circuit. I say this because the items you describe are not fed by a common feed so the likelihood of then all failing is unlikely.
To confirm the earth is the issue then you will need to check the continuity between the earth wire at the unit and the frame earth...that's the easy bit.
Harder will be to find where the problem is. Try cleaning the earth points first. Then inspect around the headstock, you may need to peel back the outer covering.
If, on the other hand you don't have power at the component then you will need to trace back through the loom and establish where the break is.
'Fraid there isn't an easy answer but is you work through logically and note which circuits have been checked you will find the problem.

Is the engine also running rough or even differently than normal? & How old is your battery?
I recently lost all my electrics at petrol station. Engine was running at the time but had been sounding rough. There had been no trouble staring. Everything died inc the motor.
Long story short - the battery was knackered. It still showed 12.6V at rest on the multimeter but put any load on it, such as indicators, the voltage plummeted 10V or less. Switch things off, & it would recover.
It took me 2wks figure out that the battery was the problem because I trusted the at rest 12.6V as a 'good' battery. The slow attrition you're getting reminds so much of what was happeneing while I was fault finding. The horn would work one day not the next. Same with indicators, neutral light, head light. The big give away should have been the no longer turning over the starter.
I bought a new battery & all my problems disappeared.

It still showed 12.6V at rest on the multimeter but put any load on it, such as indicators, the voltage plummeted 10V or less.
Yes, you got it. A load tester helps to see how strong the battery is. It can save you a lot of time.

What is the first thing they do when you bring in a suspect battery? They load-test it. If you have a load tester at home, you can do it yourself.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
Max. Yes I have the diagram and multi meter. I did not include this in the original post. Early in the spring I turned the key and had no power. I scrambled the ignition switch cleaned all the contacts reassembled and haven’t had any repeat electrical problems until last week.
3 Max. Bike runs great. Starts and runs strong. Because I live in the city I have trouble getting to 6000 rpm’s but I don’t think the power boost is kicking in every time. One time the tach and temp gauge appeared to be working but maybe off a bit. The power boost kicked in at 3000 rpm. Anyway more inspection is needed.

Hey guys, again thanks for the replies. I went to do a deep dive into the issue today and following the first rule of electronics I checked the fuses and lo and behold a 10 amp fuse was blown. Replaced it and now everything’s great.

Now you should trace the circuits for any skinned wires which caused the short which blew the fuse. Check everything on that circuit.

First rule of diagnosis: Check the simple and basic things things first.
Second rule of diagnosis: Never assume that someone has obeyed the first rule!

I didn't obey the first rule...☹️

Back