Davie FL at the Round Up bike show

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
A big to-do, lotsa bikes at a local restaurant/lounge. I-595 and Pine Island Dr. at the SW corner.

6th Annual FT. Lauderdale Summer Bike Festis being held at Round Up on Sunday, July 21st from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm. Featuring Live Music, Bike Builder Expo, Giveaways & Drink Specials, Food & Drink Vendors, Bike Accessories & Apparel Vendors. There will be a Custom Bike Show and a Bikini Contest. You can't miss it...It's going to be off the hook! Sponsored by Bud Light & Jagermeister.

http://www.roundupnightclub.com/upcoming-events.html

My friends from Under Pressure in Dania Beach FL are bringing a 40 ft two level/3 axle trailer filled w/drag bikes to show. A couple of pics, below. The bike is a Slater Racing 1397 Hyabusa, carbureted, NOS, electronics are a Schnitz Pro Series II box. Progressive NOS thru the box/& data logging for run analysis. O2 sensor in a pipe bung. Best e.t. so-far is an 8.03. Built by Steve at Under Pressure, machine work by Mike of MJ Racing, West Palm Beach FL.

Attachments

• Slater trailer.jpg
    Slater trailer.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Slater Racing.01.jpg
    Slater Racing.01.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 28
They are getting the double-deck trailer loaded for the Slater Racing/Under Pressure display. I was over there watching them load & staying out of the way, here's one of the bikes going in the trailer.

Attachments

• Honda of Eddie's.jpg
    Honda of Eddie's.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 9
Some shots of the bikes. Sorry, no "Monster Drink" promo-girls, Hooter's Girls, or similar!:confused2:

I estimate the bike traffic at >500 motorcycles, and the majority were Harley's. The vendors were Harley-centric, for the most part. I saw a fair-amount of female riders.

All the Slater Racing bikes are set-up to run NOS. From front to back, they are a Kawasaki KZ1000J-based bike, a Suzuki GS1100-based bike, a Kawasaki ZX11-based bike, pushbutton-start; and a Hyabusa. All the bikes run Lectron carbs.

The GS1100 is 1500 cc and has run 7.96 on motor. When they tried the NOS, it came-back onto the wheelie bars so-hard, it bent them like a rocking-chair rocker, and carried the front wheel four feet in the air through the traps, with a female rider on it, all they could see from the starting line was a pair of arms reaching-up to the ascending bars as it sailed through the trap. She was lucky she didn't lose it.

The ZX11 has a Track racing chassis, 1130 motor, and has turned 8.30 all-motor.

The 'Busa is 1397 cc a Schnitz Pro Series II controller/data logger, and has run an 8.03.

Not part of Slater Racing were the Z1-R, the Rat Fink artwork, the Shovelhead, the rat Rod, or the Sportster and its artwork. My other friend who runs a H-D-oriented shop knows the woman who did the Sportster artwork. It looks like a Peter Max/Kenneth Howard mix of styles. Years ago, probably about the 1990's I went to San Leandro CA with my oldest brother, on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) while we were in-San Francisco visiting my sister. We went to Arlen Ness's shop there, and because most of the counter staff was out with the flu (it was over Christmas break), Arlen was working the counter when we walked-in. I said I was interested in his work, and while I wasn't a H-D rider, I was interested to see whatever he had on-display. He said, "I'm still setting-up a museum upstairs, it's not really open yet, but go check-it out, be-careful, as it's a construction area!" Up there were all-kinds of his work, including early stuff. He did Triumphs then, because before the Evolution H-D, a lot of guys who were into choppers rode Triumphs and BSA's, with an occasional Norton thrown-in. One of his Sportsters had a paint-job like a Peter Max psychedelic painting, not too-different from this one. I have some Kodacolor negatives of that trip in my inventory. So, when I saw this bike it reminded me of that trip with my oldest brother to Arlen Ness's CA shop, and his generosity in allowing us to see a part of his operation not yet open to the public. My brother is now sitting with St. Peter, and I had a nice recollection of that trip, meeting Arlen Ness, and spending a good time with my brother.

Attachments

• Slater Racing .01.jpg
    Slater Racing .01.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Slater Racing Rat Fink bike.jpg
    Slater Racing Rat Fink bike.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Slater Racing Rat Fink solo.jpg
    Slater Racing Rat Fink solo.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Slater Racing Z1R.jpg
    Slater Racing Z1R.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Slater Racing .Shovel H-D.jpg
    Slater Racing .Shovel H-D.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Slater Racing rat rod.jpg
    Slater Racing rat rod.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Slater Racing H-D Sportster all bike.jpg
    Slater Racing H-D Sportster all bike.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 11
  • Slater Racing Sportster paint detail.jpg
    Slater Racing Sportster paint detail.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 11
Good pics & nice running bikes Ratfink is always cool !

Steve, whom you met, Kyle, was the builder of all those bikes, and my friend Mike was the machinist on them all as-well.

It seems like every kid of a certain age had a Schwinn StingRay or a knock-off, or one of the other banana-seat bikes (maybe an Orange Krate?) And to go-along with tearing-up the streets of their neighborhood on their banana-seaters, a Ed Roth shirt with some filthy, disgusting, bug-eyed, needle-teeth nightmare apparition grabbing a cue-ball shifter while peering-around a GMC 6-71 blower bursting-out of the hood of some '60's car, or an older rod.

Ed was very careful to load his pics with all-sorts of detail, including tiny flies hovering-around the creature, as the racing slicks perpetually went egg-shaped, pouring volumes of rubber smoke off them.

Considering Ed was a Mormon, quite an imagination for the bad-dream critters he popularized, and the wild designs he made. The Mysterion bubble-dome he made from pizza-oven-formed plastic!
images

Back