engine rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne billings

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello i recently got a 86 vmax ,not running. i opened it up to find (37k miles) an attempt to install new pistons and rod bearings had failed. 2 rod bearings had spun, scoring the crank journal. i have heard different thoughts on this... rebuild or not rebuild. if i rebuild , i wonder if bearings are available for a custom regrind. is there some who can do this kind of job. I am over my head on this one. thank you for the help. best to you all. wayneb

Wayne:

I hope you post your story as it unfolds. I acquired a Honda V65 with a failing rod bearing. Due to parts availability and risks, I chose to buy an engine on eBay to replace it. So far it's working out, but I haven't started it yet. I hope you find a solution for your Vmax.

Years ago we had a chrome chromed and built up and turned. Worked out well. BUT, If you spun a bearing in the block I would highly suggest considering to replace the block. I do have cranks only, cranks and rods, short blocks, ect.... Just depends on what your project goals are.

Back