gearhead website

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
If you were raised in the 1950's/'60's, this website has a lot of content you should find 'interesting.'

http://restomods.com/jay-leno-insane-1951-jaguar-xk-120-hot-rod-1421/

If you like vintage cars and don't mind modding them, this is a good place to hang-out. Now, I will be one of the first people to say that a Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic coupe shouldn't sport stick-on scoops, a flame paint job, or whatever abortion you can think of to despoil it (perhaps a Chevy 'stovebolt' inline OHV six?). But adding modern power to a body of the 1960's, I don't find offensive. Hey, I don't care, if you want to keep a 327 in your 1966 Nova, instead of re-powering it w/an LS3 or something, I go along w/that. Your car, your choice. Adding disc brakes to that '60's hot rod may save your ride if you exercise it, though.

So, whatever you want to do to your old ride, this may be a site where you may get some inspiration and ideas.

I chose this particular article because it's got Jay Leno, and he and I have a fondness for the XK-series Jaguars. At 17, I got lent to me my brother's XK-120 to go to the senior prom, and to use for 5 days. I had quite the time, and the cars before the XK-E still hold my attention today. Jay's ride is a hand-built special, and he doesn't own it, but one of his shop owner friends built it. Just listen to that sound.

if you search the website, I'm sure you'll find many cars of interest, and have many happy hours reading and scheming. How're ya gonna float this past the wife? "I really wanna build a 1970 Torino Super Cobra Jet Talladega!"

AWESOME site. Thank you. Bookmarked! I grew up more in 70s and 80s but long loved the cars before my time. I sported a 70 Torino GT with a home brewed 351 street boss for a couple years. Gawd the heyday of American cars is a happy place for sure.

I was a child when Happy Days was still being aired, I watched just to see the T-bucket roll up to the diner, watched Dukes of Hazard to see the General Lee get flogged time and time again. Good times!!

One of my best friends from high school in MI had a father who was an Indy car team owner. Shortly after we graduated from high school, his father, who owned a trucking company, bought himself a new Torino Super Cobra Jet and his son got the Gen II '70-1/2 Z-28, the one w/the nerf-bar split bumpers. What a pair of cars! In the winter, he used to borrow the Torino and we'd go out on the frozen lake, and do 'brodies' looping-around sliding in circles on the ice, at night. Stay away from the ice fishing shacks! His Z-28 got stolen from in front of their hotel in Chicago. Before that, he had an SS 396 Chevelle his senior year in high school, w/a Muncie 4-speed. We had a lotta fun in that.

Yes, this site has a lot to offer, and many neat cars.

Thanks FM, I could spend a lot of time there. I love the way Leno restores them to sleepers. That old 289 was no slouch. In a light car like a Falcon or Mustang they could open some eyes. The old
Chevy small blocks dominated in the old days, but a sweet ford or Mopar would always get a fair share of attention. I'm glad I grew up in that error.My First car was a 64 Impalla SS, 327 c.i. Muncy 4 speed from the factory. I saved for it, until I had the $400 to buy it, it was 6 years old. I moved up to a 68 Charger RT, also for $400, but with a loud manual transmission. $11 in parts to fix it. That's when I started wrenching for a living. I wouldn't change anything accept keeping the cars.

I have always maintained that if I came into enough money I would buy a Rolls Royce, cut the back off and put on a pick-up bed. Just to show that I had enough money that I didn't care.

I have always maintained that if I came into enough money I would buy a Rolls Royce, cut the back off and put on a pick-up bed. Just to show that I had enough money that I didn't care.
I hope that comes true for you. I think the guys with the VW beetle rolls royce grills beat ya to it.

Here you are. A local site in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. El Camino/GMC Sprint/Ranchero style.

ClickHandler.ashx

And here's a duallie-crew cab in the 1963-earlier category. I like this one, I am partial to the single headlamps models.
ClickHandler.ashx

Attachments

• RR pickup.01.jpg
    RR pickup.01.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 7
  • RR pickup.02.jpg
    RR pickup.02.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back