Gen 1 clutch issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All,
Have an 85 with 7500 miles. Clutch is slipping under load.
Leaver is a little harder to pull than I remember. Bled the hydronic clutch and it’s still slipping.
Replace friction plates?
Thank you,
Dave

I'd be surprised if you and/ or PO's have managed to wear out the friction material in 7 1/2K.
I would first check that the m/c piston is able to fully return to the resting position and that the lever pivot is in good condition and free to move.
Before forking out for a new set of friction plates measure the thickness which are between 3.1 and 2.9 mm. The wear limit is 2.8mm.
If that checks out OK then have a look at the slave to ensure it isn't crudded up and that the piston is free to move in the bore and is free of rust.

I'd be surprised if you and/ or PO's have managed to wear out the friction material in 7 1/2K.
(1) I would first check that the m/c piston is able to fully return to the resting position and that the lever pivot is in good condition and free to move.
(2) Before forking out for a new set of friction plates measure the thickness which are between 3.1 and 2.9 mm. The wear limit is 2.8mm.
(3) If that checks out OK then have a look at the slave to ensure it isn't crudded up and that the piston is free to move in the bore and is free of rust.
I agree, but if you haven't abused the clutch, I would do (1) first, then (3), then (2).

Back