VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4W4K3

Reaction score
Alright so after reading up on the various, yet fairly limited, windshield selection for the Vmax I decided to go with a Givi A123. Well, it just came in the mail yesterday and upon opening the box I was really impressed by how much of a quality shield this seemed to be. The smoked plastic, the "Vmax" engraving... I was pumped to try it out.

So during the install I only had one minor problem and that was with the brake cable guard beside the turn signal. The Givi mounts right between the signals so this guard had to go. Other than that, I was still fairly impressed with the ease of install.

Now for the road test. Maybe it's just me, but I think this thing gave me more wind fatigue in riding 5 miles than I get in riding two hours without a windshield. I'm not incredibly tall or anything either but at 6'1, my chest seemed to be nicely protected from the wind but my helmet got hit with everything else. It's roughly 12 inches tall and I really expected this to do more than it does. There's not much adjustment that can be made either; it pretty much just sits next to the two front signals.

So have any of you had similar results with the Givi or a shield of this size? I'm not really sure how someone could stand to ride like this, but maybe it's just me.
Plus I don't think Givi is too keen on returns after it's already been installed too... :bang head:

Wind shields on max cause excessive wind directed straight at the helmet level, you will need a higher wind shield which will look weird & slows the bike's acceleration.
I tried several wind shield & got the same excessive helmet wind and wind buffeting @ freeway speeds when its windy. totally wrong aerodynamics.
even the speedo cover I have causes wind directed at the helmet level increasing wind noise even with custom ear plugs.

Alright so after reading up on the various, yet fairly limited, windshield selection for the Vmax I decided to go with a Givi A123. Well, it just came in the mail yesterday and upon opening the box I was really impressed by how much of a quality shield this seemed to be. The smoked plastic, the "Vmax" engraving... I was pumped to try it out.

So during the install I only had one minor problem and that was with the brake cable guard beside the turn signal. The Givi mounts right between the signals so this guard had to go. Other than that, I was still fairly impressed with the ease of install.

Now for the road test. Maybe it's just me, but I think this thing gave me more wind fatigue in riding 5 miles than I get in riding two hours without a windshield. I'm not incredibly tall or anything either but at 6'1, my chest seemed to be nicely protected from the wind but my helmet got hit with everything else. It's roughly 12 inches tall and I really expected this to do more than it does. There's not much adjustment that can be made either; it pretty much just sits next to the two front signals.

So have any of you had similar results with the Givi or a shield of this size? I'm not really sure how someone could stand to ride like this, but maybe it's just me.
Plus I don't think Givi is too keen on returns after it's already been installed too... :bang head:

That's really disappointing but not a complete shock. I mean I knew I'd be getting a bit more wind at face-level, but not like this.

From here I suppose I'll try some ear plugs. I just hate how those big windshields look in general, especially on a bike like this.

Ear plugs any time you ride make a huge difference in fatigue level and comfort, custom made ones are best & last until you loose them:rofl_200:

That's really disappointing but not a complete shock. I mean I knew I'd be getting a bit more wind at face-level, but not like this.

From here I suppose I'll try some ear plugs. I just hate how those big windshields look in general, especially on a bike like this.

I am 6'0" tall and think it is a big improvement. It moves the air from the chest to the helmet as you say, but I don't mind that near as much as on the chest. I believe it is much less pressure on the helmet than it was on the chest. Any chance you could have yours tilted back a little more than I do?

Gustaffson Plastics in St Augustine FL has VMax windshields in different lengths for us & you can also send him yours to get it fabbed into a longer one, yours is used as a template. Could that be an answer?

I just put a windshield real similar to the Givi on mine and I like it alot, I'm only 5'10" though and I always wear a full faced helmet.

im 5'10 and i get some buffetting with mine so i could see where at 6'1 or more would be a problem. i still like it better than not having a windscreen. maybe see if laminarlip.com has something that will fit. if i had known about gustaffson plastics i wouldve gone there. i live in the same county and never heard of them. also im a big fan of big ear earplugs. they are way better than foam plugs.

When it gets below 50 deg or for a long ride, I turn into a bagger. Memphis shades tall windshield included. I'm just about looking over it not through it. I hate the way it looks. But, the air blast over my head, I can ride a lot longer and in comfort.
Steve-o

I've tried many different "clip on" windshield on the Vmax and V65....

I haven't found one yet, unless it is a very small fly screen, that doesn't make the bike handle worse at speed from the irregular buffeting on the shield being transferred into the front forks, and more uncomfortable to ride....

Most of the discomfort I've gotten from them is due to the good old bernoulli effect of the thing pulling a low pressure air column right behind the windhsield, therefore pulling on you as well and loading up the old wrist bones more than normal.

Full face and ear plugs +1

My girlfriends Vmax has a windshield on it & I hate it. I usually take it off if I am gonna ride it. She likes it & it makes her happy which makes me happy so I dont complain it about it to much.

I am 6'0" tall and think it is a big improvement. It moves the air from the chest to the helmet as you say, but I don't mind that near as much as on the chest. I believe it is much less pressure on the helmet than it was on the chest. Any chance you could have yours tilted back a little more than I do?

You actually have a good point. I just assumed it only had one angle it could sit at, but I might be able to move it forward a few degrees and see if that helps at all.

im 5'10 and i get some buffetting with mine so i could see where at 6'1 or more would be a problem. i still like it better than not having a windscreen. maybe see if laminarlip.com has something that will fit. if i had known about gustaffson plastics i wouldve gone there. i live in the same county and never heard of them. also im a big fan of big ear earplugs. they are way better than foam plugs.

I just sent them an email asking for some more info :eusa_dance:

Gustaffson Plastics in St Augustine FL has VMax windshields in different lengths for us & you can also send him yours to get it fabbed into a longer one, yours is used as a template. Could that be an answer?

Depending on the cost, that might be something worth trying. I just sent him an email as well.

Latest posts

Back