How to refit the gas tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
Following to Gary's (Buster) thread on how to remove the gas tank,
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9885
I thought it would be useful to see how to put it all back in for those who weren't too sure!

So here goes, in pictures:

Having resprayed (rattle can) my tank, I started by fitting the fuel gauge sender unit:
01insertgaugesender.jpg

Tighten both bolts (green arrows) and route the wires through the tab and attach the rubber grommet (pink arrows)
02sendertight.jpg

Make sure the drain bolt is tight!
03drainbolt.jpg

Attach the main grommet at the front of the tank:
04rubbergrommet1.jpg

There it is in place:
05grommeton.jpg

Attach both side grommets or the tank will rattle..
06sidebumper1.jpg

Left in place...

07sidebumper2.jpg

...and the right:
08sidebumper3.jpg

Time to attach the inner fender to the tank:
09innerfender1.jpg

There is is in place, tighten that bottom screw (I know, should've got another SS allen head):
10innerfender2.jpg

Top of the tank:
11tanktop.jpg

Make sure the breeder tube hole is open (especially after respray):
12breatherhole.jpg

Attach the main fuel line and secure its clip:
13fuelline.jpg

at this point it would be best to install the fuel filter if you're using the OEM item - it's very tight and a PITA to get in/out once the tank is in! I have one of those glass ones and it's a bit slimmer so left it for now, just installed its rubber holder:
14fuellineandfilterholder.jpg

Time to install the tank. Notice that I did move my rear wheel - tank won't go in or out otherwise:
15wheelisoff.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for the tank:
16ready4tank.jpg

Let's slide that tank in there....
17tankslidesin.jpg

...and here it is in place. Make sure that arrowed rubber is snug on the frame on the other side!
18tankinplace.jpg

Here's that rubber on the other side (arrowed), also make sure the fuel gauge sender wiring is routed properly:
19rightside.jpg

Plug in the fuel gauge sender, and tuck the connection away.
20senderplug.jpg

Time to reconnect the tank breeder hose. Make sure the clip is secure, and the hose is held by the metal tab (arrowed):
21breatherline.jpg

Place arrowed rubber washers on tank and under the frame:

22rubberwashers.jpg

Insert the bolts/rubber/spacer as shown...
23insertbolts.jpg

...and tighten both:
24tightenbolts.jpg

Refit the subframe tube onto arrowed dowel (circled helmet holder is aftermarket I believe - you may not have that):
25refitsubframe.jpg

I noticed the front post holding the Rectifier/Regulator and left pillion peg assembly was rusty:
27rust.jpg

So I cleaned it up and put a little grease on it...
28cleannlube.jpg

...as well as on the rear one (bottom of sub-frame) to facilitate future disassembly:
29reartoo.jpg

Let's feed the R/R wiring between the frame and the tank:
26feedRRwires.jpg

Then offer the R/R and peg assembly back:
30refitRRassembly.jpg

Two bolts at the front (notice long and short)...
31RRfrontbolts.jpg

...and two at the back (again notice different lengths:
32RRrearbolts.jpg

Tighten all five (green) arrowed bolts, and notice R/R wiring route:
33RRnsubbolts.jpg

My R/R ground (black) lead has a large gauge wire soldered onto it:
34RRgroundlead.jpg

I took this opportunity to re-insulate it:
35reiso.jpg

I then fed it all the way back to the battery (-) connector, and then reconnected the R/R wiring (arrowed):
36RRconnections.jpg

Here's my R/R ground wire on the battery (-). Also notice I am using a Panasonic Gel battery so my terminals are different from the OEM Yuasa:
37RRgroundconnect.jpg

Time for a few cable ties before tucking the wiring away..
38ties.jpg

..and then I refitted my coils holder, which I'd removed to allow routing of the R/R ground wire. Notice there are no coils - I am running COPs:
39coilsholder.jpg

Here's my clear (glass) fuel filter with renewable element, which I'm going to swap back to OEM, because I think the holes in the element are too big:
40fuelfilter.jpg

Fit the fuel filter, making sure its arrow showing fuel flow points the right way, and ensure the (arrowed) clips are secure:
41fuelfilterin.jpg

Time to refit the rear fender. Mine may look slightly different as it is the shorter (aftermarket) version with custom sticker and tail light:
42rearfender.jpg

On the frame there should be two rubber grommets, mine were perished:
43rubbertabs.jpg

So I used electrical tape to cover the metal and stop the fender rattling:
44makedo.jpg

The fender has two holes and two tabs (all arrowed) that hold it in place at the front:
45fendertabs.jpg

Here it is in place, showing the frame tabs (where the rubber grommets should be) in the fender slots:
46fenderin.jpg

Holding the fender in place, insert the three retaining bolts from underneath, and secure with the nuts above (arrowed):
47fenderbolts.jpg

Reconnect the tail light's wiring:
48rewirelights.jpg

Time to slot the rear wheel back onto the drive shaft..
49wheelbackin.jpg

..then insert the wheel axle through the swingarm, washer, caliper bracket and then wheel:
50RRwheelassembly.jpg

Re-attach the torque arm to the caliper bracket...
51torquearmbolt.jpg

...and tighten and insert the locking pin:
52torquearmdone.jpg

Slide the rear brake caliper over the rotor, and insert caliper bolts..
53caliperbolts.jpg

... then torque to spec:
54caliperboltstrq.jpg

Refit rear wheel axle nut and washer...
55RLwheel.jpg

..and torque according to preference, making sure holes line up so you can insert the securing pin. I used 80 Nm this time..
56castlenutpin-1.jpg

Then secure the pinch bolt on the right hand side and torque to spec:
57pinchbolt.jpg

Refit the shock absorber (Progressive 440 shown) and torque to spec:
58Shockbolts.jpg

Refit your exhaust - for me it's was dead easy as I'm using Jardines slip-ons - it may be a little more work if yours are the OEM items..
59sliponbolts.jpg

and finally refit the side cover:
60sidecover.jpg

All that's left is to refit your seat, faux-tank cover etc, and the job is done! :clapping::punk:

Wow. Kick ass write up! Just scored a clean 04 tank from fleabay for $70 shipped so I'll be using this very soon. Thanks a lot

Ok I got the tank back in and everything looks good .. except the breather hose! I can't figure out why that thing is so long. Any chance someone could show me how the tube is supposed to be routed? There is a small white plastic clip about halfway down the length of the tube - where does it clip on?

Dave, I'm not in the same country as my bike so can't take a pic, but the fuel vent tube is really long because it goes all the way down behind the motor, so should fuel overflow or leak out, it should go straight to the ground without wetting any part of the bike. I believe - if my memory serves me right - that it comes out by the center stand, and there's a metal hoop there that it's routed through. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back