Hunkering down to greet Fiona

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastal Grey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What can you say really …the joys of being Coastal

The house is secure generator is ready to go got supplies got rye the wood burners going … bring bitch!

I really do love heavy duty weather I’m humbled by it and I think for me that’s a good thing
Hurricanes and tropical storms are awesome…. apex!
This girl has some big shoulders very big
In the picture I’m the red dot on the bottom of Nova Scotia Nor’easter Alley
I’m about a football field from the shore and straight out my back door is New Hampshire
I’m Roughly 11 miles into the Gulf of Maine

Rock and Roll
Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• 9D24444D-A854-47B9-8562-75951133F7F7.jpeg
    9D24444D-A854-47B9-8562-75951133F7F7.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 0
What can you say really …the joys of being Coastal

The house is secure generator is ready to go got supplies got rye the wood burners going … bring bitch!

I really do love heavy duty weather I’m humbled by it and I think for me that’s a good thing
Hurricanes and tropical storms are awesome…. apex!
This girl has some big shoulders very big
In the picture I’m the red dot on the bottom of Nova Scotia Nor’easter Alley
I’m about a football field from the shore and straight out my back door is New Hampshire
I’m Roughly 11 miles into the Gulf of Maine

Rock and Roll
Cheers
Peter
I also have an appreciation for the "heavy weather". Enjoy and be safe.

Batten the hatches. Tell us after how things are.

We in so. FL are now predicted to be in the cone of greatest storm activity for a Category 3 when it makes landfall, but I hope we only get 'feeder bands' of rainfall, and no devastation. I was on-duty fire/rescue in Andrew, the tens of thousands of homes destroyed was incredible.

Good morning All
Definitely dodged a bullet on that one
Our maritime brothers and sisters to the north of us were not so fortunate this was a “tropical storm with hurricane winds it’s truly is one of the biggest storms I have ever seen hit Canada thoughts are with those that have been impacted by the devastation of this monster

Glad to hear your family avoided destruction & loss of life, or serious injuries. Here in Florida, the building codes are much more strict in how things are built, compared to pre-Hurricane Andrew, whose thirty year 'anniversary' was this weekend. Here's an example of the difference in how robust building standards can protect against losing your home. Mexico Beach FL from a few years ago.

Mexico Beach  FL hurricane resistant home.jpg

So I am a building Plans Examiner in South Florida. We have Ian knocking on our door. Looks like we are not to be heavily impacted but the “cone” changes.
yesterday we were free and clear, today, not so much.
Hurricane was my baptism to Florida which I thought was bad but not devastating. Good to be prepared.

PatMax said:
"I am a building Plans Examiner in South Florida... " Hey, I also was a state-licensed plans examiner, and lifesafety code inspector but am now retired.

PatMax said:
"Hurricane ____?____ was my baptism to Florida..." Which tropical storm name was it? In 2005, Hurricane Wilma (882 mb) tore-up the southeast coast of Florida, destroying thousands of homes. Where I was working, entire mobile home parks were wiped clean, leaving nothing but concrete slabs and foundations. The building dept did a GIS map of the destroyed residences and it looked like a giant hand scraped off the face of the earth the housing, the fingers leaving furrows of destruction showing the storm's path.

The day after, we were out searching the community, looking for bodies and trapped residents. Searched structures got a spray-painted code: searched, and # of fatalities. Grim work. It was nothing like New Orleans and Katrina of the same year though.

I have a pic of one mobile home, an old single-wide. Three walls and the roof were gone, who knows where, leaving one end wall, which was fairly close to another much newer mobile home. That one was able to withstand the fate of its neighbor, and it provided a bit of protection for the one remaining end wall.

You got to see the construction of the destroyed mobile homes, I was surprised to see exterior walls were sometimes only 2" X 2" framing, then thin plywood and aluminum exterior paneling. The stud space would have batts of fiberglass insulation and then some type of thin wood paneling, maybe with some type of fabric wallpaper on the inside.

This one wall remaining had a built-in shelving/cupboard on that end wall. The entire rest of the structure is gone, vanished. But there is a shelf stack on either side of the middle cabinet. The shelves have a shallow groove at the back, parallel to the wall. It's there to provide a resting place for souvenir plates to display. And resting in that groove, and against the back of the shelving wall, are Elvis commemorative plates. The entire rest of the mobile home is gone, but those plates stood there for all to see. I have a pic of it on my old flip phone from 17 years ago.

Hurricane Ian is supposed to be category 4 over Havana during daylight today, weakening to Cat. 3 as it goes towards Tampa and makes landfall there around noon Thurs.

It's raining cats & dogs here in Miami, side streets and arterial roads are flooded to varying degrees. Our pool level has gone up maybe 3". I had a doctor's appointment, but after getting on the road, and seeing the flooding, I called and re-scheduled. Even the $100,000 SUV's are avoiding the standing water flooding the roadways. I know where trouble-spots are, where the water accumulates during the 'frog-choker' storms. Those are usually shorter duration but heavy precipitation. The tropical storms like hurricanes have feeder bands of rain showers which happen and stop, and happen again, as the CCW rotation passes-by. The accumulation of rainfall overwhelms the storm drains. We have a french drain in front of the house, it was filled last night, and now the street is flooding, the sidewalk is underwater, and the rainfall will still be happening through Thurs. so two more days. I hope someone can redirect Hurricane Ian away from Miami. There, fixed it!

Hurricane Ian     9-27-2022.pngHurricane Ian.02.png

Last edited:
The southeast Florida area has dodged a bullet, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, and north of Ft. Meyers on the west coast are in for a Category 4 landfall. Tampa and St. Pete are probably not going to get the worst of the storm.

No. Perry Airport in Miramar/Pembroke Pines west of FLL (Ft. Lauderdale Airport) had about 30 planes tossed upside-down, a couple of tornados did that and uprooted trees in Broward County. Miami-Dade Co. also got a tornado (video showed it). A 12-16 foot storm surge is predicted from Bonita Beach to Edgewood. That means destruction for anything within a mile of the Gulf of MX coast.

Latest posts

Back