Intermittent Neutral & Check Engine Light while idling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdamien

Reaction score
Folks,
I just bought a used 2014 - VMAX with close to 14K miles on it, and I have some weird issues with it, and was wondering if someone on this forum could help. I had a shop do a pre-purchase inspection, and they said it checked out fine, and no issues with the bike.
Although, starting the next day I started observing the following :
1) When I switch on the bike, the dashboard doesn't show N, even when the bike is in neutral. When I am riding it, all other gears (1,2,3,4 and 5) are showing fine. Even after riding and stoping and selecting N, bike still doesn't show N in dashboard.
2) If I switch on the ignition (cold start) and leave the bike idling for about 7-10 mins, N will intermittently come and go. When It does come intermittently, I am able to go into the "SELECT" and "RESET" mode.
3) When idling, the Check Engine light would come on, and although it does go away when I start riding it, I'm wondering if this is a major issue?
4) When idling, I can hear some rough idle sounds, it comes and goes.
5) Please see picture of dash, it show number 42 - From on of the online pages where which show faults - 42 - no signal or a faulty speed sensor - self diagnosed string D: 07 (speed sensor), D: 21 (Sensor CAT (neutral)).

I am wondering what could be going on with the bike, are there any major issues? Any help/advice would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5610.jpeg
    IMG_5610.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Capture what you described above on cellphone video then take it back to the shop that did the pre inspection. I'm guessing a loose connector or a sensor is failing.

Uhh, I am no Gen 2 expert, but I've dealt with CIL issues for years. If it's throwing a code 42 that relates to a speed sensor, then I would surmise it has a speed sensor signal issue. Seems like that would b a good place to start. Not sure how it would be associated with a problem with the neutral light, but stranger things have happened. Still, a good place to start looking.

Back